Air layer wintercare

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so tonight it will be getting down to 22f in western NC, last night it got down to 28f and tomorrow it will get down to 26f. I have 3 layers and about 10 cuttings, only one of the layers has shed all its leaves, should i store the layers and cuttings in an unheated garage all of the winter? Or can i leave them in the unheated crawlspace that gets no light or outside heeled with pine straw with the rest of my maples? i was told by a friend that layers should be treated differently and with more care than the rest of your plants. I have not been able to find a thread on this topic yet.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not ignoring you, I just don't have any experience over-wintering Japanese maple air-layers.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's get focus here...

Which species?

Airlayers as in:

- Layers still on the plant?
- Layers separated in the last weeks?
- Layers separated in summer or before?

In general, I am brutal to my airlayers. All of them just have to take it as it comes. I protect all my trees against wind and sun when temps drop well below freezing. But not much more. Temperature here does not drop very low most winters.

General recommendation for recently separated layers, and layers still on the tree is to shelter them from frost.

I have a whole bunch of cuttings, rooted and non-rooted. They just get it as it comes. Although I admit, this week we had a night where temps dropped to 20F. I put the cuttingstray with maples that still had leaves, inside the shed for the night. Junipers and pines stayed outside.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's get focus here...

Which species?

Airlayers as in:

- Layers still on the plant?
- Layers separated in the last weeks?
- Layers separated in summer or before?

In general, I am brutal to my airlayers. All of them just have to take it as it comes. I protect all my trees against wind and sun when temps drop well below freezing. But not much more. Temperature here does not drop very low most winters.

General recommendation for recently separated layers, and layers still on the tree is to shelter them from frost.

I have a whole bunch of cuttings, rooted and non-rooted. They just get it as it comes. Although I admit, this week we had a night where temps dropped to 20F. I put the cuttingstray with maples that still had leaves, inside the shed for the night. Junipers and pines stayed outside.
Japanese maples and tridents, they have been living on their own roots since 4th of july, some of the cuttings were done in August. More specifically layers are orange dream and arakawa while cuttings are arakawa, kotohime, orange dream, green maple and trident maple.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
im in Atlanta and just put mine on the ground in flats with mulch in the air spaces. They are pretty hardy here. I have always brought them in the garage if it either gets below 20 at night or if I have a full day below freezing. For me that is normally only once or twice a year. My normal maples just sit on the ground or bottom shelf with mulch around them. If you have a plan that works for your standard ones then I would treat them the same. You do have to make sure they don't dry out in the winter. Easy to not water when they are out of sight.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
im in Atlanta and just put mine on the ground in flats with mulch in the air spaces. They are pretty hardy here. I have always brought them in the garage if it either gets below 20 at night or if I have a full day below freezing. For me that is normally only once or twice a year. My normal maples just sit on the ground or bottom shelf with mulch around them. If you have a plan that works for your standard ones then I would treat them the same. You do have to make sure they don't dry out in the winter. Easy to not water when they are out of sight.
i just moved so the garden space i had i no longer have the only place in the yard the dogs don't go is under the porch on the south side of the house however from 2-6pm at this time of year they will be in full sun. I would like to build a greenhouse but my neighborhood is coveted and it has to be approved by the HOA, they are really strict they wouldn't let me have a 6 foot bonsai bench in the front yard.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the layers I would treat as all the other plants of the species. They have been potted for 5 months, which should be enough for them to be established AND to realize they should have gone into dormancy by now.
The cuttings.. Might be best to give them a little softer approach.

Top Bottom