Air-layered Black Pine

dinhn

Seedling
Reaction score
Has anyone air-layered from Black/Red Pine? If so, how long for it to get roots? 1645300383114.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The older the branch less chances to root, this guy have very good succes with strong apical shoots http://muranakabonsainursery.blogspot.com/2012/04/japanese-black-pine-air-layers.html

airlayer,pine,trident+003.JPG

airlayer,pine,trident+010.JPG

airlayer,pine,trident+016.JPG

blogger-image-424155347.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
A old branch with that girth and apparently not very much vigour I guess it would take a long time, probably the tree willd drop it and stop the sapflow before it have chances to root

Reactions: n8

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Going to take quite a while to root an old branch. It also looks horizontal, which means, you'll likely end up with roots on bottom, but not much on the top.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've successfully air layered lodgepole pine and have had roots after 18 months on a 1 foot tall apex with several sub branches (LINKS BELOW FOR PICS)

IMO your material is a bit ambitious for a pine air layer, but in optimal settings I think you should expect to wait 24 months unless you're just layering a tiny shoot like in the above link posted by @Arnold .

For pine air layering (and other conifer air layer), I think I'll no longer be bothering with the plastic bag method in the future, and am in the camp with some other folks who have air layered pines into open air containers rather than bags. Bags work, but I want to bootstrap a more substantial root system and I want significantly more air flow once the rooting has been triggered so that I can take my time with separation (layering into a bag would make me feel like I need to separate quickly). I like to use a stiff Costco brand unsalted mixed nuts jar for this. The contents are tasty and then you have a first-class super tough/durable container that won't flex (won't disturb the rooting) and that lets you monitor rooting progress.

Disclaimer -- don't consider this advice, YMMV, but personally, I would tear off those wires/bag and use the layer-into-a-pot method. Your results may differ from mine due to the location of your layer.

Here's my example lodgepole pine air layer:

NOTE: Click into the links, multiple pictures inside

How it started:
How it progressed:
If you just set that bag up in the last month you're still just waiting for callus (i.e. rooting progress in such a short time is virtually impossible, rooting really only starts in the second year in my experience, so you've lost nothing yet), so changing your methods is still an option.

Last edited:

dinhn

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all for your value information.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
little black pine air layer from a Japanese bonsai blogger

D