Air layered Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve always wondered if I could take an older collected Larch and air layer it. Well, first try it worked. Nothing fancy used, just rooting hormone, sphagnum etc. I’m thinking this will open some more possibilities as a lot of Larch in my area are straight at the base with more interest half way up. I tried counting the rings on this one and it is nearly 100 years old.

639A5DCE-9F2D-42B1-B9FE-E5C98D87E41A.jpeg7DB2C535-DC9F-4C4A-8E1A-5FE9A4EE075A.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume this is a Tamarack? Is it possible that out of the varieties of Larch, the Tamarack can be layered? Is it possible in their normal environments they can produce a "sub-surface" root system amongst the moss atop the boggy watery soil beneath?

Nice horts!!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sweet Matt. Love sphagnum? When did you apply the layer/how wide of a cut for this one? Did you just separate?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats. I have only had some youngsters self-layer in the past. To see this on a larger one is god news indeed.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered if I could take an older collected Larch and air layer it. Well, first try it worked. Nothing fancy used, just rooting hormone, sphagnum etc. I’m thinking this will open some more possibilities as a lot of Larch in my area are straight at the base with more interest half way up. I tried counting the rings on this one and it is nearly 100 years old.

View attachment 332641View attachment 332642
Wow whats that cool looking tree on that stand behind the larch in the really nice beige pot with the deadwood sticking out? Can you post a pic of that? Is there a thread on it? Love to see it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow whats that cool looking tree on that stand behind the larch in the really nice beige pot with the deadwood sticking out? Can you post a pic of that? Is there a thread on it? Love to see it.
Pretty sure there is a thread on that one. One of Matt’s best trees. Thuja I believe

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found it.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Found it.
Thanks! Just checked it out. It is very very cool!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume this is a Tamarack? Is it possible that out of the varieties of Larch, the Tamarack can be layered? Is it possible in their normal environments they can produce a "sub-surface" root system amongst the moss atop the boggy watery soil beneath?

Nice horts!!
Yes Tamarack, I tried to replicate the "bog" environment as these Larch are living off of the new roots that are shooting out in that first layer of sphagnum in nature. @Brad in GR this is not live from the bog sphagnum, I used the overpriced stuff from amazon. Also, I used rooting hormone and mixed akadama with the shagnum, I think I cut the bark the same thickness as the trunk.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wish I could remember the name of the thread I was looking at a few weeks ago on here. Multiple members were talking about how easy larch is to layer haha. I never know what to think. Sounds like maybe our native larch has the super power but others might not? Regardless, Matt's trees always remind me that if my wif gets her way, and I end up moving to the frozen north, the trees get better

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a pic from this summer of the EWC. Thanks for asking @Mayank View attachment 335678
This is such a pretty tree. I really love it. If you are ever in the mood of downsizing or selling part of your collection, looking for a loving Michigan home where it is a little warmer, I'd be happy to take this one in!!! :D 😄:p

Last edited:

TreeSlave

Seedling
Reaction score

The absolute beauty of this method is the maturity of the m

TreeSlave

Seedling
Reaction score

The absolute beauty of

Larix laricina

TreeSlave

Seedling
Reaction score
The absolute beauty of a mature Larix is the bark! If we can capture 100 yo bark, who cares if it is straight or interesting? Young bark is not as cool. Today scouting Larch I discovered two gold nuggets. This success in laying an old Larch and a swamp full of aged tops with condensed, proportional limbs. Great post Matt!

Top Bottom