air layering a bald cypress?

tsquared

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm new to the whole bonsai experience, and I haven't ever air layered something, but I hear that it is a very quick and effective way of getting a tree with a desirable sized trunk trunk. My girlfriend's parents house has a number of bald cypress trees in the back and I was planning on trying to air layer some as I love the look of bald cypress trees. I understand the basic process, but are there any precautions or specifics that I should look for in my specimen? Can I get any additional information on the best way to do this specifically to a cypress? Is spring the best time to start? Thanks!

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why would you air layer a BC in Louisiana? Don't they grow wild all over the place there? Go dig one up the size you want that already has the base and nebari working rather than starting over with no nebari.

tsquared

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've noticed that it's actually a lot harder to find a decent sized one in an area that isn't a protected wetland than you'd think. Even after trekking about in the swamp that my grilfriend's parents owned I couldn't find a relatively small one to work with. Most are old and huge! I guess I could buy one from a nursery, because they do sell them all over the place here, but I thought I'd gain some experience with air layering. Maybe I'm just going about this the wrong way or something, but I guess that's why I'm a beginner! Thanks! :D

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No harm in experimenting with free material. Use the search box and you will find info to get started.

tsquared

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alright thank you. It seems from my search that they air layer very well but to do it in early spring.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest they do air layer well and I do understand the restrictions in Florida on collection. I would suggest that you try the air-layer AND perhaps visit family or friends in Georgia for collection - just my opinion ;)

tsquared

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Honest they do air layer well and I do understand the restrictions in Florida on collection. I would suggest that you try the air-layer AND perhaps visit family or friends in Georgia for collection - just my opinion ;)

Thank you! They are beautiful trees so I wouldn't mind having a few of them. I'll try to do both methods next spring I guess.

Reaction score
Often I will do multiple air layers on the same trunk.
One above the next.
:cool:

Top Bottom