Air layering a blue cedar limb

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
've been working on a cedar deodar air layer for 1.5 years. First attempt failed when bark healed over. I reset it this spring. I checked it today and saw some roots starting. I think it's not ready for separation. It looks like it could use another year. How can I best prepare it for over wintering? I'm concerned that the roots will freeze. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_124116760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210904_124116760_HDR.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210904_124122948_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210904_124122948_HDR.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
've been working on a cedar deodar air layer for 1.5 years. First attempt failed when bark healed over. I reset it this spring. I checked it today and saw some roots starting. I think it's not ready for separation. It looks like it could use another year. How can I best prepare it for over wintering? I'm concerned that the roots will freeze. Any thoughts?

You are going to have to provide it with extra protection.

I would put it in a garage over the winter where it will maintain temperatures above freezing and below 40 degrees.

Omaley

Seed
Reaction score
@BonjourBonsai
Seems like you got lucky or got the right technique comparatively to all the tries I have seen with cedrus. Well done!
Don't forget to show some pictures this spring with all the roots you got. Sometimes the problem is to have roots all over the trunk...
I plan to make a try this year. I learn that the best time to start airlayering is when the first flush of growth have harden of. You have the same advice?
Sorry for my frenglish, I m french...😉

Top Bottom