Air layering a crab that was recently repotted?

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Some of you might have seen the thread of the crabapple I bought around a month ago. Some suggested I remove a particularly thick branch that gives the tree a 'reverse taper' appearance, and I decided to air layer that branch as it would make a pretty nice little tree in itself, and leave me with 2 crabs!

The question here is timing. Some said leave it for later, but yesterday I was wandering around House of bonsai nursery in CA where I bought the tree, and the owner said I can air layer around the end of April. I asked if it's ok even though I re-potted the tree recently? She said it's fine.

Thoughts?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't.

The portion you're looking to air layer isn't really worth the trouble. Just because it could possibly give you another pretty mediocre tree is no real reason to do it.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I wouldn't.

The portion you're looking to air layer isn't really worth the trouble. Just because it could possibly give you another pretty mediocre tree is no real reason to do it.

It's not really any trouble, it actually seems very straight forward from a technical point of view.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may be straighforward, but it will slow your work on the main tree. Knowing when to do something and when not to do something just because it can be done is something that budding bonsaiists get hung up on.

You will not be really able to do anything more with the tree while the air layer takes--if it takes--since what may seem straighforward may not be as straighforward as you think. Air layers can take, or they can simply callus over (if inadequate technique is used to remove tissue, or if you're overzealous in removing tissue). That may not happen, but I'm just sayin'.

With air layering its easy for beginners to think "I can get two trees for the price of one." That's not true. The air layer, if it succeeds, will take up resources and time. That's why the decision to do it has to be really more than economics. The material being air layered has to be worth air layering, or you're just stuck with a dead end crappy little tree.

If you're just set on trying an air layer, why not just get a $15 maple or apple whip from Home Depot to practice on and let the bonsai be a bonsai...?

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It may be straighforward, but it will slow your work on the main tree. Knowing when to do something and when not to do something just because it can be done is something that budding bonsaiists get hung up on.

You will not be really able to do anything more with the tree while the air layer takes--if it takes--since what may seem straighforward may not be as straighforward as you think. Air layers can take, or they can simply callus over (if inadequate technique is used to remove tissue, or if you're overzealous in removing tissue). That may not happen, but I'm just sayin'.

With air layering its easy for beginners to think "I can get two trees for the price of one." That's not true. The air layer, if it succeeds, will take up resources and time. That's why the decision to do it has to be really more than economics. The material being air layered has to be worth air layering, or you're just stuck with a dead end crappy little tree.

If you're just set on trying an air layer, why not just get a $15 maple or apple whip from Home Depot to practice on and let the bonsai be a bonsai...?

Thanks for the information and concern rock, this is exactly what I joined this forum for, honest answers. I think it ill give a better idea if i include the pic of the crab in question. Like I said the main reason for removing the big branch is not for experimental purposes, or economic, but purely aesthetic. The main trunk suffers from a little reverse taper, and as beginners to bonsai tend to do, I initially thought to myself "what a waste of a perfectly thick developed branch". But learning more, I realized that Stan and others who recommended it be removed were right, it would create the 'bonsai' look much better. Then I realized I can actually keep the branch by air layering it, and the branch I wish to save is quite nice. Might make a decent shohin crab one day :)

Here is the tree in question and the thick branch on the left is the one I'm hoping to air layer.

2us8vwh.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom