Air layering a very old crabapple.

Reaction score
As the title proclaims, I have access to a large, (40+ wish) year old crab apple at one of the places I do work for. There's a really gnarly bit (due to periodic pruning) that I'd like to air layer off (~2.5 inches thick). I know that newer wood is better/ideal to air layer. But the section above it has some real nice character IMHO (not to mention real nice taper. From 2.5 inches to a 1/4 inch is about six inches).

Has anyone had luck air layering older, thicker crab apples?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never tried anything that big personally, but Graham Potter has a video demonstrating on a 4 to 6 inch tree and a follow up video showing the results.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Roots seem pretty vigorous on Crabs...don't see why it wouldn't work.
Cut out the bark at least 1 1/2 times the circumference and thoroughly remove any remaining green cambium, or what ever the green part is called!?!?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DSC02512.JPG

Go for it!:cool:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had good success air layering old crab apple wood.
The only thing I have to note is that the new roots will grow on the lowest part of the cut. So if the branch isn't growing straight up, you might want to do the bark cut horizontal to the ground and not straight around the circumference of the branch.
Don't know if this will help, but its what I'm going to do on my next air-layer.
CW

Top Bottom