Air-layering and back budding?

afir5687

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first thread post so if the question I have sounds amateur or ignorant please forgive me. I have a green jalanese maple tree in a 15 gallon nursery pot, and I would like to bonsai it by cutting it into a stump over a period of years. I know major pruning should be done in spring, but instead of wasting the large branches, I would like to air layer them. I wanted to know if I should air layer the branches in spring, or if I should cut the air layer branch in spring. I'm more concerned with the back budding rather than the growth of the roots, so that's my first priority. The dilemma I have is whether the branch is considered "cut" by the tree during air layer or if it's considered cut after I physically cut the branch. I know it sounds confusing, but I'm pretty confused if I should air layer in summer and cut it in spring or air layer in spring and cut next spring. Again, my priority is backbudding so which ever gives me more backbudding is more important to me. Thank you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had layers bud out low in the bag.
Depends on the tree.

I'd cut one crap branch off, and layer one, and note.

Next year continue as per results in notes.

Welcome to Crazy.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On japanese maples I judge the start or rooting by backbudding on the trunk... I have come to realize that when I get lots of growth below the layer, roots have started to sprout.

With japanese maples, the growth is so prolific that backbudding should not be a problem. Set the layer now, Separate when roots have developed and next year spring your plant will most likely be full of new branches.

afir5687

Seed
Reaction score
Ok I'll get started on my air layer right away, just a few more questions. How tall should I make the ring cut, or what formula should I use to make the 2 parallel cuts? Also, would you recommend that I buy rooting hormone in addition to sphagnum moss or just sphagnum moss? Lastly, when should I cut the branch to encourage the most backbudding in the original tree? If I wait until next spring will the winter damage the roots? Thanks.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok I'll get started on my air layer right away, just a few more questions. How tall should I make the ring cut, or what formula should I use to make the 2 parallel cuts? Also, would you recommend that I buy rooting hormone in addition to sphagnum moss or just sphagnum moss? Lastly, when should I cut the branch to encourage the most backbudding in the original tree? If I wait until next spring will the winter damage the roots? Thanks.
That all kind of depends on when you cut the branch and where you are located... IOW, here in SC, I can remove layers later because our winters are pretty mild, and our growing seasons are longer, so we can start them Later... If you live further North, it might not be advisable to remove it before winter. A good rule is to not remove one less than at LEAST a month or so prior to your first hard freeze, and even then, protect the layer over the winter from freezes as much as possible.

afir5687

Seed
Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot for all your advice! Ill try using perlite this time instead of sphagnum and see if there's a difference, I appreciate all your help!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On japanese maples I judge the start or rooting by backbudding on the trunk... I have come to realize that when I get lots of growth below the layer, roots have started to sprout.
This must be just a coincidence that occurs in your location. The process of generating roots is quite different from bud release.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The process of generating roots is quite different from bud release
THis I am aware of. The only explanation I coudl think of was that as the dependency on the original root system is reduced, sap flow into the layered section reduces, stimulating new branch development lower down.

Top Bottom