Air layering at an angle

JimA

Seed
Reaction score
Had anyone ever air layered at an angle or a sawtooth pattern to increase the area for root development or doesn't it make a difference. The only thing I ever see is straight cuts.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People do cut at an angle to get a future trunk that exits the soil line on an angle. Remember that roots will tend to grow down, so too severe an angle may result in roots only on the "downhill" side.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I made a large angled air layer on my Chinese elm.
The tree and layer thrived, but root formation was one sided....don't think it was the cut, just the luck of the draw.
Re-cut the callous parts and hope for the best, will try to graft if I dont get them growing this year.

D

Deleted member 21616

I just did a deshojo on an angle, it seemed to be no issue at all for the very experienced person who guided me through it.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-maples-in-montreal.33315/page-9

I chose to tilt the entire tree at an angle, so that my airlayer was perfectly horizontal with sea level, but I did this to help me visualize the future design for the reasons @BrianBay9 mentioned

That said, i have successfully air layered branches in big trees, and did not keep it horizontal with sea level, nor were they a perfect circumference either

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
People do cut at an angle to get a future trunk that exits the soil line on an angle. Remember that roots will tend to grow down, so too severe an angle may result in roots only on the "downhill" side.
Good point! Maybe it was the steep angle of my cut.....hmmmm.

JimA

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for your input . Good point about growing down. Will try do it horizontal to the ground at an angle with a sawtooth pattern and see what happens.

Top Bottom