air layering azalea?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is there anything special I should know before I try to air layer a few branches on this azalea I have in the yard?
IMAG0552.jpg
Was planning on using a sphagnum moss and some type of rooting hormone. I wanna do it right the first time. Any advice?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I generally have about 50% success with Azalea cuttings... Never done a layer- oughta work fine though. They have thinner bark, so might not need to cur in as deep as some trees...
I always recommend using a little pot with soil mix or perlite instead of moss in plastic. I think it produces more reliable radial roots that are easier to sort out.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always recommend using a little pot with soil mix or perlite instead of moss in plastic. I think it produces more reliable radial roots that are easier to sort out.

Lol, what are trying to do? Get the azaleas high?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I generally have about 50% success with Azalea cuttings... Never done a layer- oughta work fine though. They have thinner bark, so might not need to cur in as deep as some trees...
Just to update this- I airlayered about a half dozen azaleas this year or more... damn near every one took! Their roots are a little more fine and not as substantial as say a Maple or something, but the same processes work just fine. I had success on larger branches, using the layer to "get the roots started" then separating transferring the partially rooted branch/cutting to a pot with soil...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really, I do it same way. Use a plastic pot with the substrate they will be growing in after separation. I've used 100% kanuma or mix with DE. They are very quick to send out roots from AL, a matter of few weeks.
...talking about Satsuki...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What substrate did you use?
It was coarsely chopped sphagnum and DE, in a cut plastic cup.
With a layer or sphagnum on top to help keep in moisture... they never dried out.
They didn't heal the wounds either, they just croaked.
This year, I'll try sphagnum only....
When though it will be a bitch to sort out the roots, it seems like straight sphagnum is working for most people.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think maybe I did the layers too early in the season. I think I did them in spring, as soon as I noticed it growing.
Should've waited for stronger summer growth.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think maybe I did the layers too early in the season. I think I did them in spring, as soon as I noticed it growing.
Maybe. Or it could be that the loss of auxin below the girdle caused the xylem to be plugged (iow, the branch 'thought' it had been pruned).
With azaleas you can make an upward cut (the line of the cut goes toward the tip, away from the roots, as it goes deeper into the stem) about half way through the stem and place a tooth pick, or similar, in the cut to keep it from closing. This maintains an auxin flow to the roots and should keep the xylem from getting shut down.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did it successfully always after flowering, May/June.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm with Eric Group up thread. Perlite surprised me since I started using it. I'm using it for all layering and cuttings now. Don't use moss anymore. Give it a go and compare it to sphagnum...
I use my regular soil mix for most if my trees, I've never actually boughten a bag of spaghnum moss.

Aaron

Top Bottom