Air Layering Boxwood

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,
I have a boxwood i want to air layer and would like to know the best method of air layering to use. I would like to know the best time as well. I live in Delaware zone 7.

Thanks!

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a similar project for either this year or next. I have a box that is about 6 feet tall and I think I can get at least two good bases out of it. I layered several maples last year and was going to use the same method; ring the bark making sure to dig into the cambian layer, apply rooting hormone, strap a cup/basket to it, add bonsai soil, top with moss, water. Worked for all of my maples along with a beech and a hornbeam.

I have no experience layering boxwood so I would appriciate some input from others as well.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
use the same method; ring the bark making sure to dig into the cambian layer, apply rooting hormone, strap a cup/basket to it, add bonsai soil, top with moss, water. Worked for all of my maples along with a beech and a hornbeam.

I have no experience layering boxwood so I would appriciate some input from others as well.

That'll work just fine. Be patient, though, and don't poke and prod the sphagnum ball searching for roots. It may take all summer.

Top Bottom