Air layering caused dead branch

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hey all, my first attempt to air layer failed miserably on a valley oak, it resulted in a dead branch in a week. I performed the air layer, went back to check it about 10 days later and all the leaves on the branch were orange. There was condensation in the bag and the moss was still damp. Scratching my head because from what I've read on here, most peoples problems are the wound closing up and not producing roots, not the actual branch dying in TEN days. Any insights would be helpful, I'd love to air layer a valley oak tree if its possible.

This was my process
1) I cut a 1 inch section,
2) scraped it to the bark,
3) Wet the bark and applied rooting powder,
4) wrapped with soaked sphagnum moss and closed in a plastic wrap.

Other notes: The tree seemed like it was in good health, tons of leaves, no die back. The branch I layered was about 1.5 inch thick split off into two more branches that lead to leaves. Total length of the layer was probably 2-3 feet. It has been pretty hot here.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
if you post photos it might give us a better understanding. also depending on the tree, more specific the species, air layering is best done during certain times of the year. I have no experience with oak. Hopefully someone can fill in

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I do not know valley oak but other oak species are extremely difficult to strike as cuttings. Not sure about layering success rates.
As above. Your description of what you did may not be exactly what we read into it so photos are always a good idea because we can then read between the lines and pick up things you may not have thought about.
You mention 'scraping to the bark.' We normally scrape all the bark off right down to the wood underneath when layering and apply rooting powder to the cut edges.

It is possible to cut too deep when layering which can stop water flow up to the branches. That would certainly be one way to kill a layered branch quick but not sure what else to suggest.

Top Bottom