Air layering coast live oaks?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I wanted to ask, how well do coast live oaks layer? I was working at my school's botanical garden today and made a friend who said I could collect oaks of their property!

I mainly will be collecting seedlings and young trees for my oak grove composition but wanted to try to start some airlayers off their older trees. Do these root well in air layers?

Thanks,
Julian

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wanted to ask, how well do coast live oaks layer? I was working at my school's botanical garden today and made a friend who said I could collect oaks of their property!

I mainly will be collecting seedlings and young trees for my oak grove composition but wanted to try to start some airlayers off their older trees. Do these root well in air layers?

Thanks,
Julian

Hi Julian,
My reading about Oaks is that they are almost impossible to root by cuttings so that would mean the same for layers.
No harm in trying but not great % in success.
Seems like seedlings or older trees dug up are the way to go.
Charles

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Julian,
My reading about Oaks is that they are almost impossible to root by cuttings so that would mean the same for layers.
No harm in trying but not great % in success.
Seems like seedlings or older trees dug up are the way to go.
Charles
Seems so. I read somewhere of all the different oak varieties, coast live oak layer the best? Hopefully there'll be some nice stuff to dig.

Top Bottom