Air layering Cork oak

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advise on airlayering oaks? Corks and valley oaks in particular.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't now, but I will have shortly. I am going to be airlayering a large cork oak in about 4 weeks. Because I have never airlayered a cork oak before, I hesitate to comment until I know what I did worked. I will take extensive photos and post results.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Oaks are notoriously difficult to layer. I've heard of it done but many more cases where it failed. Some that had success recommended leaving a "lifeline" bit of bark intact rather than encircling the entire branch as is normally done.

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried it once. Waited all summer for roots. No luck.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have any advise on airlayering oaks? Corks and valley oaks in particular.

I once airlayered an English Oak. I did it in May, and removed the layered portion early September. It was the most perfect layer that I've ever seen, with a perfect nebari all-around. It was 15 years ago, and I still have the tree. This year I planted it back into the open ground, for a couple of more years, in order to thicken the surface roots.

But I have not done it on cork oaks.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are two photos of the Cork oak that I have. I think that I have two possible choices for design here with #1 being a upright design using the straight part of the trunk and #2 using the curve and removing it at the point where it tapers off.

The base of the tree is 5.5 inches and the trunk just above that is close to 3 inches.

Does anyone have any advise?

Attachments

• cork oak back.JPG
    cork oak back.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 98
  • cork oak front.JPG
    cork oak front.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 78

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
the Valley Oak that I air layered after I first started this thread has already rooted. I thought that these took closer to two years to root.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the Valley Oak that I air layered after I first started this thread has already rooted. I thought that these took closer to two years to root.
@Bonsai Nut
Did you air layer the cork oak you mentioned in this thread? Success or failure, please update.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No actually I didn't. I decided to grow it out... and the spindly trunk I was planning on air-layering is now thicker than the original:)

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
I successfully layered a large cork oak. it took 2 years and I opened the callus as well as applied hormone several times.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For those whom successfully air layered an oak, what attributed to your success? What method worked, wire tourniquet, the "lifeline" mentioned earlier, stripping a ring of bark? What time of the year etc?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I failed on a half an inch branch cork oak. It did have an amazing callus but eventually dried up and died.

Top Bottom