Air layering Crabapples

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with air layering Crabapples? I have an old crabapple that has some low branches that need to be removed that are about 2 inches in diameter and I was wondering if anyone has taken layers this large.

Thanks,
jeff

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Also, you want to make sure that there's really very little if any fruit above the layer; fruit really saps strength from the tree to begin with and combined with a layer could cause it to become too weak and die.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
HI Jeff,
Crabapples are easy! I've layered them up to 5" diameter.

Paul

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with air layering Crabapples? I have an old crabapple that has some low branches that need to be removed that are about 2 inches in diameter and I was wondering if anyone has taken layers this large.

Thanks,
jeff

Theres a question i don't have to ask

Crabapple here i come

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I always thought it was better to begin air-layering when the tree was fully leafed out. Graham said the best time was before the buds break ? ? ?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, the "best" time is when you have access and material to do the job. It can be done at anytime but I prefer before bud break to take advantage of the hormone rush when growth starts.
Wood

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for that information, Wood.

DaveV.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll get the grafting knife and moss out this weekend and get some started.

jeff

Top Bottom