Air layering crepe myrtles

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking about getting back into bonsai after a break. It's a long story. I have crepe myrtles in my front yard that are probably a foot thick in some places. The trunks have movement and a twisted look to the bark. I know it's possible to air layer them in a thick spot. So if the plan is bonsai do I cut a trunk and let it back bud, then air layer below that? Or just layer off a long branch and try to pot it then cut back once it's established? I'm thinking a trunk as thick as my leg would be pretty cool but that might be too ambitious. There are thick trunks and some younger new trunks. Have I waited too late to try air layering them in zone 7A? I'm from the tropics and keeping trees is very different here. Thanks for any advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it was @penumbra who recently started a thread on working on layers while on the tree.

I would layer something decent to see how it goes, and start prepping others for a more lengthy stay on the tree for training before removal. If a few go well, train em on the tree longer.

Sorce

Top Bottom