Air Layering Crimson Queen?

TreeofBloodgood

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi, I’m Dane,

This is my first post here, so tell me if I’m doing something wrong.
Anyway, I recently got a grafted Japanese Maple ‘Crimson Queen’ from my local garden center, and I have a couple questions about it.
First off I live in Zone 10 (a or b, I don’t know), Glendale, LA County, in SoCal. I know this isn’t the ideal zone, but are there any pro-tips for keeping JM’s alive here?
Secondly, I read that palmatums air-layer very well, but dissectum varieties... not so much. Is this true? If so, can Crimson Queens be air-layered, or is this a lost cause? Right now, the temperatures are fluctuating between 70-80°F, if that’s of any use. Also, are air-layers weaker than grafted specimens?

Well, those are all my questions. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any answers would be appreciated.
Have a nice day,

—D.E.
D6706787-041E-48EE-BC4E-A1ED680E2C74.jpeg

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crimson Queen is a weeping dissectum, weeping Japanese maples are hard to airlayer, as you said dissectum are also less successful at air layering. So it maybe difficult to airlayer if not impossible.

I have one in front of the house in the landscape, random branches die throughout the year. Not a good characteristic for Bonsai.

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
i don't know where the graft of your is, but if i had to air-layer one of those i would do it just below the graft so as to have roots from the regular palmatum and hope to "blend" the graft union into the flare of the nebari. Those varieties are slow growing even when grafted and usually don't layer well if at all, and are from weak to unable to survive long term on their own roots.

TreeofBloodgood

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i don't know where the graft of your is, but if i had to air-layer one of those i would do it just below the graft so as to have roots from the regular palmatum and hope to "blend" the graft union into the flare of the nebari. Those varieties are slow growing even when grafted and usually don't layer well if at all, and are from weak to unable to survive long term on their own roots.

Yes, I was thinking I could air-layer the rootstock, but it has no branches. Is there a way I could induce branch growth without risking damage to the whole tree?

TreeofBloodgood

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh yeah, and one more question. What is a good rootstock variety? The most vigorous, hardy, heat tolerant, and sturdiest Japanese maples?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh yeah, and one more question. What is a good rootstock variety? The most vigorous, hardy, heat tolerant, and sturdiest Japanese maples?
Hi Dane. This would be a great time to edit your profile to include your location and USDA grow zone.
Green leafed Acer Palmatum is broadly used for rootstock and hardy.
Trick may be to match root stock growth to cultivar growth habit to avoid obvious graft union that is accentuated with time.

TreeofBloodgood

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Dane. This would be a great time to edit your profile to include your location and USDA grow zone.
Green leafed Acer Palmatum is broadly used for rootstock and hardy.
Trick may be to match root stock growth to cultivar growth habit to avoid obvious graft union that is accentuated with time.
Thanks Japonicus! I looked it up, and found out I am in 10a (Glendale, California).
I’ll do some research and find good green-leafed cultivars for my area. Thanks!

jcarpenter

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Yes, I was thinking I could air-layer the rootstock, but it has no branches. Is there a way I could induce branch growth without risking damage to the whole tree?
I know this is several years old, but I recently acquired a Crimson Queen and have been researching to figure out the best way to remove it from the root stock. Did you ever try to air layer this tree, and if so, how did it turn out? Any lessons you could share?

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
Would love to hear also. I do expect that there are some Acer Palmatum Dissectum that do layer. There are a few that can be bought as cuttings and therefore should be able to be layered. Some successful ones can be found at evergreegardenworks

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know that air layering can be done on this cultivar. I saw a Crimson Queen on its own roots a few years ago at a show at Hidden Lake Gardens. Jack Wikle confirmed that it was an air layer when I asked about it (the tree belonged to someone else though). So, it is possible. However, I would not expect it to be easy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Disappointing, but I was expecting to find that. Is it still worth a try?
You will need to locate the graft union. With a Crimson Queen they are probably going to have a high graft, right up under the foliage. That entire straight trunk is most likely the root stock. It may be physically difficult to do an air-layer on this tree because the branches may all sprout from close proximity to the graft. (Of course you can always try air-layering a branch)

Also, as far as keeping JM in SoCal goes, you need to focus on two things: first, protect from sun and dry wind. Second, try to get softened water. Water out of the tap is going to be bad, with a high pH (for a tree that likes slightly acidic conditions). Do not let this tree sit out unprotected with Santa Anas are blowing - you can lose all your leaves in 48 hours.

Top Bottom