Air Layering Dissectum Japanese Maples

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have 'Seyriu' and 'Beni komachi' that are not grafted. Since it's very unlikely to have the true species from seeds, I'm certain they're from cuttings.

I also made cuttings from 'Butterfly', not really a dissectum but a variagated cultivar, and they're very easy to root.

D

Deleted member 21616

I also made cuttings from 'Butterfly', not really a dissectum but a variagated cultivar

i'm not familiar with butterfly, but have you ever tried layers or cuttings with higasayama or aka shigitatsu sawa? i saw 'variagated' in your post and i got excited!!

I have a monster aka shigitatsu sawa in my yard, but the cuttings never survive more than 2 days!! its biggest leaves would fit withing a circle with a 3.5" diameter, and I have tried removing as much as 80% of the leaf... but no success! my prof said they fall into the category of 'matsumurae' (as opposed to palmatum or dissectum) and are impossible 🥺

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@derek7745 I routinely get lots of reticulated seedlings from my Shigitatsu sawa…..some have been more interesting than the mother plant. I believe that it is the source of all of the 'Ghost series' of reticulated maples.

D

Deleted member 21616

seedlings from my Shigitatsu sawa…..some have been more interesting than the mother plant

absolutely! One of my favorite 'cultivars' came from a seedling of Aka shig. s. and it is both vigorous and easily propagated by any common method! (pic attached here. details at link provided)

. . . would still love to propagate is via cutting or layer though! excited to see if @MACH5 's higasayama works out!!

Attachments

• IMG_8767.jpg
    IMG_8767.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 42

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
absolutely! One of my favorite 'cultivars' came from a seedling of Aka shig. s. and it is both vigorous and easily propagated by any common method! (pic attached here. details at link provided)

. . . would still love to propagate is via cutting or layer though! excited to see if @MACH5 's higasayama works out!!

Derek, I really hope I will be able to. The higasayama is in my brother's landscape. He just sent me pics of the layer and nothing yet. I believe I am closing now on just the two month mark. We shall see but I expected it to be on the slow side if in fact does air layer. Nail biter!

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Viridis air layer is coming along. Clearly Will not seperate yet. Unfortunately I only had a horizontal limb to take so im sure roots will only come from the underside. Will have to re-ground layer down the road.

Inaba shidare layer a complete bust since placed in march. Top still alive though so who knows.

Attachments

• B164E651-E18C-49BF-84B6-104C860B2D07.jpeg
    B164E651-E18C-49BF-84B6-104C860B2D07.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 37

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I tried a tamukeyama last year. It didn't take. It was a trunk layer so it died.
Come spring i plan on starting a layer on a tamukeyama. Any advise going in i should know since you have tried one? I know it's going to be a gamble and might not take but going to try. The tree is at my dads house that he planted about 20 years ago, so fingers crossed.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck. I'm told that it is next to impossible to air-layer one of those buggers.

Top Bottom