Air Layering Elms?

SilentMouse

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've found a very...strange elm in my yard this fall. Or well, I've signaled it out as an elm of some sort, which in general seem to be very good for bonsai.

My hope is to air layer it because it has clearly been cut WAY down to a stump in the past and threw out many suckers. The base of it is very ugly and beat up on. Full of scars and kind of rotting to make a hollow. It's branches are MUCH more attractive with lots of movement and natural taper. They are all very thick already in most places. So if I can skip trying to dig the thing out of the ground and air layer instead, that is is very preferable.

The big question I have would be what time would I have most success? I've heard Elms, in general, air layer well, but not when would be the best time to do it? As well as an idea of about how long I can expect to wait for roots to grow. That information would be very helpful!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Location?
Oh Michigan...Spring or early Summer when first flush has hardened.......Some do very early Spring instead,so see who chines in.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is more important than when.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds to me like the base *might* be what would draw me in.

I second the

I do all my airlayers when the plants are actively growing, up until late summer. This year I am trialling what happens if you prepare the layer site in winter with a few of my plants.

Top Bottom