Air Layering/Ground Layering Silverberry

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have tried to airlayer one in the landscape the last two years and just bridges the gap.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The wild ones here ATTEMPT to layer themselves in high, compacted overgrowth... those instances I have observed, they ALSO just “bridge the gap”.. sorry I couldn’t help more.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, they air layer pretty easily but I've only been working with pretty small ones. Sounds like you need to take care to remove all the vascular cambium to keep from bridging. I've also started a few from cuttings up to half inch diameter.

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, they air layer pretty easily but I've only been working with pretty small ones. Sounds like you need to take care to remove all the vascular cambium to keep from bridging. I've also started a few from cuttings up to half inch diameter.

Awesome! I am glad to hear someone who had success. I will just treat them like the tridents I have air layered and go to town!

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
was going to try one too. I'm using my saw to ring with this year on all my layers to really make sure there's no bridging.

Top Bottom