Air Layering indoors in Winter?

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If a tree is actively growing, is there any harm to starting an air-layer in the winter to get a jump on next season? I have a very large ficus benjamina and an old chinese elm that would benefit. Willing to try the benjamina as an experiment but would rather not jeopardize the elm. Both are inside and actively growing new shoots.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If a tree is actively growing, is there any harm to starting an air-layer in the winter to get a jump on next season? I have a very large ficus benjamina and an old chinese elm that would benefit. Willing to try the benjamina as an experiment but would rather not jeopardize the elm. Both are inside and actively growing new shoots.

Late spring/early summer would be the best time because growth inside during the winter usually isnt as strong and vigorous as during the summer.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
tree is actively growing
I would say if it's in active growth go ahead, but it still might be slower than if it could be in full sun.

Is it in a sunny window or is it under some good lights pumping out growth?

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, benjaminas can be finicky, especially indoors, so if it isn't under some good lights, I would wait for better conditions outdoors come spring or closer to summer.

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Late spring/early summer would be the best time because growth inside during the winter usually isnt as strong and vigorous as during the summer
Late spring/early summer would be the best time because growth inside during the winter usually isnt as strong and vigorous as during the summer.
Sound advice thank you, I will likely wait

JustinD

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, benjaminas can be finicky, especially indoors, so if it isn't under some good lights, I would wait for better conditions outdoors come spring or closer to summer.
Oddly enough it’s in the middle of my living room, halfway between pretty large south/north windows, and seems to love it. I repotted it approx 2 months ago and it’s coming back strong. No lights either. Might try a smaller branch for fun and start the big guy when it’s outside. Thanks for the help!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Airlayer a tiny bit this winter and see what happens!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I look at the amount of roots my benjamina pumps out in winter I would not be surprised at good reasults layering now. But, conventional wisdom would argue to wait for the tree to move back into the yard.

Top Bottom