Air Layering Japanese maple

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just harvested 8 air layerings so far......

6 normal JM
2 Mikawa yatsubusa (I have another yatsubusa that should be ready to harvest in a couple more weeks)

The ALs were done 20APR so they pushed out roots pretty quick.

JM air layering 1.jpgJM air layering 2.jpgJM air layering 3.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I just harvested 8 air layerings so far......

6 normal JM
2 Mikawa yatsubusa (I have another yatsubusa that should be ready to harvest in a couple more weeks)

The ALs were done 20APR so they pushed out roots pretty quick.

View attachment 247019View attachment 247020View attachment 247021
Please post update from time to time on Mikawa Yatsubusa when you have a chance. I wonder if they do well on their own root.

Zaratrusta

Sapling
Reaction score
I have managed to successfully layer a Sango Kaku. The first attempt was a failure and I think it was for the moment chosen; almost at the beginning of summer. In the second attempt I did it 3 weeks after the buds sprout and I separated the air layer at the beginning of spring of the following year. I obtained perfect radial roots and I am tempted to apply the Ebihara technique in the next repot.
The intention was to remove the ugly graft mark it has.

Have a nice day (sorry in advance for my poor english 😵)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Who has AL Orange Dream? I'm looking to add this cultivar into my collection.

D

Deleted member 21616

The first attempt was a failure and I think it was for the moment chosen

just FYI many people successfully air layer before bud break (early spring) 🙂

i have a deshojo that was done early spring, and only severed in early fall of the following growing season (i.e after 18 months)

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious @b3bowen, are all your layers of (more or less) vertical stems as opposed to horizontal branches?

Yes all are vertical stems on young plants. After i girdle, I wrap 2.5 mm wire around the hardwood to reduce the risk of bridging. The wire also supports a thin plastic disc directly under the top cut to direct new roots out instead of down. I paint the base with clonex, and use half a waterbottle to contain the spagnum.

D

Deleted member 21616

The wire also supports a thin plastic disc directly under the top cut to direct new roots out instead of down

i like this idea

any pics of the disc? are you using a household item? making your own out of the bottom of a pot?

i have tried to do this but was never satisfied with my disc and always gave up and proceeded without it.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i like this idea

any pics of the disc? are you using a household item? making your own out of the bottom of a pot?

i have tried to do this but was never satisfied with my disc and always gave up and proceeded without it.
Out of town but will try to post photos next week.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I saw your photo and that is what got me imsoired to take on this project. I took a close look at the tree today and found that there actually are two planted close to each other. There are probably 5 branches on each so will have to pick and choose to keep it at 50% on each. The tree has been periodically hacked back since it was planted too close to the house and was growing under the overhang. As a result it is on the order of 2”diameter—well worth the effort. I would like to be able to keep the main stem and root system alive so we can try and lift them too once the layers are done. Now I just need to look for a big bag of sphagnum.
I get my bags of sphagnum at Home Depot, I don’t know how big your looking for though.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At the moment I have a plain green Japanese maple with 3 branches rooting, I already took one. 5 branches of another green one and 2 branches from an arakawa. Really hoping the arakawa takes.

If I were you I would consider twist tying another tie around the mid section of your air layer to ensure direct contact with the branch.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a japanese maple, but thought i would include it here. Acer campestre carnival. Wire placed about 3 mm below the graft union. Not sure if roots are comming from rootstock or cultivar but they are starting to pop out all over the place.

Soil is 100% DE, hardware cloth 1/4 inch. DE held in by vinyl window screen.

And I know, people dont like variegated trees for bonsai, but this sure is a beautiful tree and so far a strong grower.

Attachments

• A61305F9-268E-4B9E-836D-1351AF2A6DE9.jpeg
    A61305F9-268E-4B9E-836D-1351AF2A6DE9.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 57
  • CFF26162-A94A-4248-967B-9421FFD69389.jpeg
    CFF26162-A94A-4248-967B-9421FFD69389.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 55
  • EF18817D-5052-4DD9-B3F8-225679DA3AC9.jpeg
    EF18817D-5052-4DD9-B3F8-225679DA3AC9.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 65

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In the process of air layering my sharp's pygmy. It's been two months and nothing visible yet. So took matters into my own hands and made a slit on the bag and poked around to see. Was happy to have found some small roots forming so I am hopeful. Looks like this cultivar is slow to layer?

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Follow up on the Acer campestre carnival above. I decided to go ahead and seperate since i think i will get new growth from the rootstock by seperating now. Here is a photo. Great radial roots.

Attachments

• A60A3688-0A12-498C-9B46-42776572EC1C.jpeg
    A60A3688-0A12-498C-9B46-42776572EC1C.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom