Air layering japanese maples questions

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just bought a 4foot maple from lowed on clearance. I paid 30 dollars for this tree. The leaves were burnt but new buds were coming on. The base is about the size of a 16oz soda bottle. I would like to learn everything on airlayering before the spring comes.

Can the great members post the best way for a novious to airlayer.

Don't worry I know to wait to spring. Ill post photos tomorrow

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Graham Potter video

The only thing I do differently is to wait until the leaves have hardened off (but before branch extension begins). Make sure your moss is wrung out well, you can't wring out soaked sphagnum too much. Leave the layer on the tree until late summer, when temps just start to cool down (late Aug./early Sept. for you). Do not try to take moss off of the new roots. Just pot up with moss intact and secure tightly with string.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the help all. I know different search sites have posts but I figure who better to know than this site and who would have completed before.

Is there any special hormone to use?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese maples are one of the easiest species to air layer. I just use any rooting hormone I have and they have always taken. Just make sure your ring barking is done well (clean deep cut with a scalpel or stanley blade & wide enough to prevent it from bridging when callousing over then peel it back and scrape away ALL the cambium).

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just bought a 4foot maple from lowed on clearance. I paid 30 dollars for this tree. The leaves were burnt but new buds were coming on. The base is about the size of a 16oz soda bottle. I would like to learn everything on airlayering before the spring comes.

Can the great members post the best way for a novious to airlayer.

Don't worry I know to wait to spring. Ill post photos tomorrow

You must have a dwarf variety to have that thick a trunk on a 4 foot tall JM - or are you talking about the nebari ring at the base and not the trunk caliper?

At any rate, where I live it takes at least 90 days to get to a harvestable air-layer. My daily high temperatures are only in the 70Fs and so root growth is slower than it might be in places where the average daily temperature is in the 70F to 80F range where maximal the root growth rate occurs.

Regardless, if you are going to air-layer a vertical stem (trunk or branch) you can cut a plastic pot, wrap it around the trunk, and fill it with bonsai soil, instead of the usual plastic bag full of sphagnum. One typically gets big fat fleshy roots with the traditional method and then has to develop 'hardened' roots in a pot after cutting the layer off. With the pot-of-soil method this all happens at the same time. Furthermore, the whole works can be left on the tree until spring if need be - your new roots are no more at risk than the mother plant's potted roots.

I put screws in the trunk to support the pot. Of course, you must do something to keep the bonsai soil from falling out the drainage holes and the hole you made to accomodate the stem. There are lots of possibilities but a bit of damp sphagnum works well. Next, fill with your favorite dampened bonsai soil. I try to leave it alone for three days before watering to allow the rooting hormone to be adsorbed into the tissue. Then, just water the rooting pot every time you water the mother plant. If you use an non-compacting inorganic soil like Turface, you can occasionally shake the soil away from the top of the girdle to see how your roots are doing. I have also started layers with the traditional bagged sphagnum method and switched to the pot after the hormone has had time to do its thing. I tend to do this on 'hard to root' trees.

In principle the soil-in-a-pot method could be done on any stem. But, I find placing a pot on a horizonal branch troublesome as also with any stem on an angle that requires making a second hole in the pot (i.e., the open top of the pot must be up). Maybe you will have a clever way to deal with it.

The girdle (where you cut off a ring of bark) ought to be one or two times the width of the stem. Usually this means the two cuts around the stem are going to be an inch or two apart. Callus will eventually form on both ends of the girdle which will narrow the gap. If you make the girdle too narrow, the girdle can 'bridge' and you'll not get roots.

Having done this, scrape the green stuff (cambium) off the wood. If you don't get it all, the residual cambium can regrow and 'bridge' the girdle. But you can add some insurance by wiping the girdle with a 'sani-wipe' or with your favorite grain alcolhol (that suff they make in TN is great and makes air-layering a lot more fun - one for the tree, one for me ...) - this will kill any residual cambium. Then dust with your favorite rooting hormone (1.6% IBA works for most deciduous trees) and close it up in your choice of moist environment.

Lastly, there is a well-known 'cone of juvenility' - the shoots nearest the ground are the easiest to root. So air-layering trunks near the ground tend to be easiest and air-layers in the crown of the tree tend to be more difficult (longer time to make roots and fewer roots are produced). The rooting competence of the tree overall declines with age. In other words, producing adventitious roots on a 80 year-old tree is more difficult than an 8 year-old one. The best location for air-layering in both, though, is on the trunk or shoots near the ground.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You must have a dwarf variety to have that thick a trunk on a 4 foot tall JM - or are you talking about the nebari ring at the base and not the trunk caliper?

At any rate, where I live it takes at least 90 days to get to a harvestable air-layer. My daily high temperatures are only in the 70Fs and so root growth is slower than it might be in places where the average daily temperature is in the 70F to 80F range where maximal the root growth rate occurs.

Regardless, if you are going to air-layer a vertical stem (trunk or branch) you can cut a plastic pot, wrap it around the trunk, and fill it with bonsai soil, instead of the usual plastic bag full of sphagnum. One typically gets big fat fleshy roots with the traditional method and then has to develop 'hardened' roots in a pot after cutting the layer off. With the pot-of-soil method this all happens at the same time. Furthermore, the whole works can be left on the tree until spring if need be - your new roots are no more at risk than the mother plant's potted roots.

I put screws in the trunk to support the pot. Of course, you must do something to keep the bonsai soil from falling out the drainage holes and the hole you made to accomodate the stem. There are lots of possibilities but a bit of damp sphagnum works well. Next, fill with your favorite dampened bonsai soil. I try to leave it alone for three days before watering to allow the rooting hormone to be adsorbed into the tissue. Then, just water the rooting pot every time you water the mother plant. If you use an non-compacting inorganic soil like Turface, you can occasionally shake the soil away from the top of the girdle to see how your roots are doing. I have also started layers with the traditional bagged sphagnum method and switched to the pot after the hormone has had time to do its thing. I tend to do this on 'hard to root' trees.

In principle the soil-in-a-pot method could be done on any stem. But, I find placing a pot on a horizonal branch troublesome as also with any stem on an angle that requires making a second hole in the pot (i.e., the open top of the pot must be up). Maybe you will have a clever way to deal with it.

The girdle (where you cut off a ring of bark) ought to be one or two times the width of the stem. Usually this means the two cuts around the stem are going to be an inch or two apart. Callus will eventually form on both ends of the girdle which will narrow the gap. If you make the girdle too narrow, the girdle can 'bridge' and you'll not get roots.

Having done this, scrape the green stuff (cambium) off the wood. If you don't get it all, the residual cambium can regrow and 'bridge' the girdle. But you can add some insurance by wiping the girdle with a 'sani-wipe' or with your favorite grain alcolhol (that suff they make in TN is great and makes air-layering a lot more fun - one for the tree, one for me ...) - this will kill any residual cambium. Then dust with your favorite rooting hormone (1.6% IBA works for most deciduous trees) and close it up in your choice of moist environment.

Lastly, there is a well-known 'cone of juvenility' - the shoots nearest the ground are the easiest to root. So air-layering trunks near the ground tend to be easiest and air-layers in the crown of the tree tend to be more difficult (longer time to make roots and fewer roots are produced). The rooting competence of the tree overall declines with age. In other words, producing adventitious roots on a 80 year-old tree is more difficult than an 8 year-old one. The best location for air-layering in both, though, is on the trunk or shoots near the ground.

thanks! that was helpful

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do it correctly you should have new roots in 30 days. Once the roots form you will need to be patient for another 30 days while they harden out. Personally I use air layer pots specifically designed for this activity. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140838357352?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Take a look.

That link to ebay is bad. Can you provide the vendor name or something so I can find these?

Thanks

Reaction score
or like they told me, save time and start new project. Plant that tree in yard!!

Top Bottom