Air layering Japanese Maples

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
'Garnet' is the most common in the trade.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seems like they would make great cascades, but I've never seen one.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have failed 2x with inaba shidare. I even applied a tourniquet the year before to thicken the base and left the layer on for 2 seasons. I finally got tiered of looking at the pot. If you want a Dissectum, consider buying a young one and layering directly under the graft union. Worked for me for inaba shidare and now you really cant see the graft. I have been able to layer viridis a green dissectum twice, failed once.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@b3bowen - Interesting that air layer fail for you. Evergreen Gardenworks sells cutting grown 'Inabe Shidare', and in general, if a maple can be propagated by cuttings, it usually can be air layered. However, the younger the branch used for the air layer, the higher the success rate.

Also, I found long fiber sphagnum wrapped with plastic wrap, has a higher percentage of "taking" over hanging a pot of bonsai potting media in the tree.

@ForThemWhatCare - Some Japanese maples, Acer palmatum - will air layer, some won't. As a general rule, the weeping dissectum types tend to be reluctant, but it is not universal. If you can find a copy of Vertree's book, Japanese Maples, there is a table that lists varieties known at the time the book was written that can be propagated by cuttings or air layers. The book is over a decade old, so newer cultivars are not mentioned.

With the 2 trees in your photos, they are both dissectum types, hence both are unlikely to air layer easily. However, there are dissectum types that DO air layer, though they are a minority. Only way to tell without knowing the cultivar names is to give it a try. Select a branch as your donor that if the air layer fails, will not completely disfigure your landscape tree's value. Hence a smaller branch. Give it a try and see if it air layers.

Success with air layers and cuttings is very much dependent on subtleties of technique and timing. For cuttings, you really need bottom heat and a method for maintaining humidity. For air layers, the age of the branch used for the air layer, and how you set up the air layer, for example sphagnum moss versus perlite, wrapped tight with plastic wrap versus no plastic wrap, rather a pot hanging - all these factors make a difference in whether or not you have success. Various cultivars of Japanese Maples range from being easy to air layer to extremely difficult or impossible to air layer. It is cultivar by cultivar. And technique does matter. So some with better technique will have success with a cultivar, where a "mere mortal" might fail with the same cultivar. The list of cutting grown Japanese maples sold by Evergreen Gardenworks is a good place to start. Those cultivars will potentially air layer if your technique is good. Note that Evergreen does use a professional grade propagation bed, sith heat and humidity controls to do their propagation.

Reaction score
@ForThemWhatCare - Some Japanese maples, Acer palmatum - will air layer, some won't. As a general rule, the weeping dissectum types tend to be reluctant, but it is not universal. If you can find a copy of Vertree's book, Japanese Maples, there is a table that lists varieties known at the time the book was written that can be propagated by cuttings or air layers. The book is over a decade old, so newer cultivars are not mentioned.
Thanks all! I'll see if I can pick up the book you mentions. In the next couple of weeks I have to do some winter pruning on both these anyway. It sounds like I can pick a branch I'd consider losing anyway, mark it as my target and come back when the book says it perfect time for the species and give a go. Just don't hold out much hope. I'll also pick up some semi-training stock to work with as I LOVE the look of Japanese Maple Bonsai. All the best!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The Vertree's book can often be found in public libraries. I know my local library has a copy of it. It is old enough that it is out of print. But use copies float around and show up on Amazon or Ebay and in brick and mortar used books stores. It is nice, but not worth a huge mark up, don't pay more than $50 for a used copy, it is not worth more than that. The information it contains is available elsewhere, though piecemeal. The book is a handy one stop reference.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Anyone have pic of an exposed cambium of a Japanese maple? I can find online but too many examples kind of confusing to determine which actually is right

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone have pic of an exposed cambium of a Japanese maple? I can find online but too many examples kind of confusing to determine which actually is right
@Ming dynasty , Watch Peter Chan’s YouTube videos on air layering you will get a good look at it there.
@ForThemWhatCare , this is a seriyu JM, it is one of the ones that does air layer well. Here are pictures of the one I started yesterday.
395CF3A2-0B56-41EC-8E45-A1A32A880EB2.jpeg
E4F697C0-6D82-4612-85AD-FDDAACA47130.jpeg
455E21F0-1BE3-4CFD-AFB2-B7EC63641140.jpeg
D0B4FE50-20C4-44F4-9B32-21CFFB92A8EA.jpeg
7DB9972B-9181-40C9-BF9E-2F07C62D61FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What spagnum moss brand y’all order for air layering? I see some people get similar stuff to peat moss so I want to avoid those brands

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What spagnum moss brand y’all order for air layering? I see some people get similar stuff to peat moss so I want to avoid those brands
Long fiber sphagnum is what you want to look for. It is also sold as orchid moss.
You may be able to find this brand at lowes. 👇
68B0958B-9FEB-4D11-959F-F632AC5AFEBB.jpeg

Reaction score
This is a seriyu JM, it is one of the ones that does air layer well. Here are pictures of the one I started yesterday.
So it is a good time to try air layering Japanese Maples then?

I was given this stapling by my father-in-law that grew naturally in his garden from a nearby tree (no graft!). I was thinking it best to air layer it and maybe get two out of it as it is too tall. Is this a good time to try and would you just go half way up the trunk?

Note: The root structure was NOT good as it had grown up around a dead azalea but seems to be recovering just fine. That's why I've just stuck it in this large pot and have done nothing but feed it so far this year. Thoughts?

Carl Summer 2022.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So it is a good time to try air layering Japanese Maples then?

I was given this stapling by my father-in-law that grew naturally in his garden from a nearby tree (no graft!). I was thinking it best to air layer it and maybe get two out of it as it is too tall. Is this a good time to try and would you just go half way up the trunk?

Note: The root structure was NOT good as it had grown up around a dead azalea but seems to be recovering just fine. That's why I've just stuck it in this large pot and have done nothing but feed it so far this year. Thoughts?

View attachment 448150
I don’t think it’s too late, figure it takes 6-8 weeks to form roots then they need time to harden off before it freezes. For me in Charlotte it’s still a good time.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is pretty late by my experience but if you can do it, great.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@19Mateo83 can a sharp pocket knife work or one must use grafting knife? What’s the difference bw the two?
I use my trusty pocket knife. A grafting knife is usually only sharpened on one seed of the blade and are razor sharp. Peter Chan recently did another good air layering video too.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to add that last year I did 8 JM airlayers in July and none developed roots. Having said that, you have a longer growing season than I do, so you may do fine. I hope you do.

Top Bottom