Air Layering Japanese Maples

reverb83

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello all I am new to this site and was hoping i could get some help. I am working with japanese maples and have successfully rooted many cuttings but have never tried an air layer.
I live in Northern VA which is zone 7. I am going to try air layering this year and was hoping someone had advice about time of year. Should I try and time it around the same time i would do a graft? I have no idea. I trained under Julian Adams on pine bonsai, but most of my maple knowledge is self taught. I'm an eternal student so any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Reverb,
You want the tree to be in a state of developing roots. That is stimulated by foliage. So spring is the time to start the layer. Feed the tree generously. Let the top growth extend without pruning.
Good luck,
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Chris said, spring is the best time to layer. But to be more specific, right after the first flush of leaves have hardened off and before major shoot extension. Depending on your species and cultivar (and obviously the size of your layered branch), you should be able to remove the layer in mid to late summer.
I always remove my layers in late summer when the temperature starts going down (here late Aug - early Sept.) and plant them in the ground or a growing box. I fertilize immediately upon transplanting and again in 2 weeks with a "root stimulator & starter solution" (contains Indole-3 butyric acid and has an analysis of 5-20-10). For plants in growing boxes, I continue feeding bi-weekly through October with a low or no nitrogen fertilizer.

reverb83

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks guys, thats very informative. I'm hoping that it works as well as growing from cuttings has for me. I just would like to start with more growth, and cuttings take time to establish vigorous growth. I'll keep you posted on its progress. Thanks again for the info.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
air layering will speed up your growing time.... make sure you when you transplant the airlayer that you take the time to gently arrange the roots radially.... don't spend too much time doing it just make sure they aren't tangled.... should help with establishing good nebari...

Top Bottom