Air Layering Middle Section

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I am new to air layering and need some advise/suggestions. Thanks in advance for this.

I am planning to air layer a few thick stems of Privet and Pyracantha Trees. The sections that I would like to make a bonsai of is somewhere in the middle where there are no leaves. I am really after the thicker sections of stem. :). Just being too impatient.

So my question is

(a) Will the new leaves emerge on the stems if I harvested the stem with the newly formed roots but no leaves.
(b) Or should I instead cut the stems on top after the root has formed, let the leaves emerge and then harvest the stem with the newly formed roots & leaves.
(c) Any other advise.

Regards.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Add some indication of your location and people will be able to give you more specific advice.

Success of your air layer depends on having leaves above the level where you want the roots. The photosynthetic products from the leaves move down the stem and stimulate roots where you have removed the cambium. If it were me, I'd leave most of the top of the plant (within reason) after harvesting the air layer, and leave it alone for a growing season to strengthen the roots after they are detached from the mother plant. Then you can reduce the trunk according to your vision for the tree.

The good news is both the pyracantha and privet are very aggressive growers and should air layer easily. I've done five pyracantha from one mother plant this season alone. Both will develop new leaves/branches on a bare trunk later if they have good roots to work with.

Good luck!
Brian

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Many Thanks Brian for reply. I live in London. Apologies I did not mention this. How long can it take to produce roots.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in California I've gotten pyracantha to produce roots in 4 weeks. Might take longer if it's colder, but I'm on the coast in a pretty cool microclimate. I bet you can fit in the air layer in the spring.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Brian, Another question about Pyracantha. If I chop-off the top section now, will the remaining clear stem shoot out new branches/leaves, at this time of the year. I was thinking if I cannot air layer now, I could use the time till spring to shape-up the stem with folliage. Or is it too late in the year now?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Brian, Another question about Pyracantha. If I chop-off the top section now, will the remaining clear stem shoot out new branches/leaves, at this time of the year. I was thinking if I cannot air layer now, I could use the time till spring to shape-up the stem with folliage. Or is it too late in the year now?

You'll need someone more local to you to answer questions like this. All I can say is that for the air layer, the more leaves above the layer, is more likely it is to be quickly successful.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done five pyracantha from one mother plant this season alone. Both will develop new leaves/branches on a bare trunk later if they have good roots to work with.
Brian, I just harvested 5 Pyracantha air layers today. Three are in my grow bed, but a couple are in pots, and I was thinking of keeping them indoors this winter. Ever try that on newly collected air layers, or do you always treat it as the outdoor tree it is?
20171010_143918[1].jpg
CW

Attachments

• 20171010_143912[1].jpg
    20171010_143912[1].jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
When had you put the air-layer? Just want to collect information about what I would be doing next spring. :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would layer them in spring. Harvest with all the foliage above it. POt them up. Next winter/early spring, chop them to size. By then they should be established on their new roots, and grot new foliage lower down easily.

Top Bottom