Air Layering Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan' Question

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I want to try air layer Kwanzan. Does anyone have any information on these? Can't seem to find any docs on it.

Kind regards,

JZ

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Last year I managed to root 3 out of 12 air layerings off of old wood. Two I cut and brought home to plant into pots. Their buds are swelling so hopefully they should flower. They are the last flowering cherry trees to blossom. Still a couple weeks to see if they do or don't.

My post

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Last year I managed to root 3 out of 12 air layerings off of old wood. Two I cut and brought home to plant into pots. Their buds are swelling so hopefully they should flower. They are the last flowering cherry trees to blossom. Still a couple weeks to see if they do or don't.

My post
Any idea why the 3 rooted and the others didn't?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any idea why the 3 rooted and the others didn't?

Not sure why? They callused but never put out roots, and eventually bridged over. I ended up stripping the bridge and reapplied rooting hormone to start over mid season. I would suspect if it was younger branches they would probably root easier.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure why? They callused but never put out roots, and eventually bridged over. I ended up stripping the bridge and reapplied rooting hormone to start over mid season. I would suspect if it was younger branches they would probably root easier.
Did you apply any rooting hormones?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i have one in my landscape that needs pruning. Was considering zipping off an airlayer around June just for fun/practice. I'll report back here if/when I do it

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you apply any rooting hormones?

Yes, I did apply rooting hormone in the powder form both times.

i have one in my landscape that needs pruning. Was considering zipping off an airlayer around June just for fun/practice. I'll report back here if/when I do it

June would be too late in my opinion. You should do it right after the flowers fall. The leaves should be harden off by then.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I did apply rooting hormone in the powder form both times.

June would be too late in my opinion. You should do it right after the flowers fall. The leaves should be harden off by then.

Whats the name of the powder?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are the cuttings in full bloom. I had to re girdle the others from last year. They formed a callus but that was it. So hopefully those that I redid push out roots in a few months.

kwanzan cutting 1.jpg
kwanzan cutting 2.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I suppose Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan' reacts the same as Prunus serrulata 'Accolade' : Root cuttings are easy to take from 'Accolade', I rooted a couple that were about 1.5 cm at the cut (about 3/4 of an inch). They flowered 3 years later.

Top Bottom