Air layering question

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I have a cedar elm that I have been doing air layering on. I have one that has already been cut and put into a nursery pot. End plan is to do a forest planting. My question is, all the new growth on the one that is already air layered is still going straight right and left like the branch it was...will buds eventually pop on the front and back to make it look like it's own tree and not a branch stuck in the ground? Should I cut off all the branches and let it grow new ones from here? I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be helpful. First time trying air layering.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Probly shouldn't cut any branches.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And this is where that photo would have been so damned handy.

The "trick" imnsho, with airlayers, is to pick a part of a tree/bush which actually looks like a small tree...

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I will post a pic later when I have time to run out there. I figured a pic would help but didn't have one.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Asks for a pic, then after I post one, both go silent. Nice lol

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ask for advice without pics before hand and some lose interest. 😐
Your air layer looks good. Let it grow.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of elms. They are not cedar. Given time I think your air layer will grow in. I would just let it grow as much as possible. It is a pretty interesting choice for an air layer, straight and thin. Good practice but next time find something with a little more character and girth to layer and it will be a lot closer to a full on bonsai.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a couple of elms. They are not cedar. Given time I think your air layer will grow in. I would just let it grow as much as possible. It is a pretty interesting choice for an air layer, straight and thin. Good practice but next time find something with a little more character and girth to layer and it will be a lot closer to a full on bonsai.
I realize it's not ideal, but I'm doing multiple like it, and since I am relatively young, I want this to be a "first" project for me to grow and mould into a forest planting since I'm getting multiple air layering for it.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
And this is where that photo would have been so damned handy.

The "trick" imnsho, with airlayers, is to pick a part of a tree/bush which actually looks like a small tree...
First post here I’ve seen but I’m also in your sub on reddit! Lol

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I realize it's not ideal, but I'm doing multiple like it, and since I am relatively young, I want this to be a "first" project for me to grow and mould into a forest planting since I'm getting multiple air layering for it.
You are on your way with a plan. Good for you!

Top Bottom