Air layering questions.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As an older rookie to bonsai I see a big advantage to air layering as opposed to growing from seed. I have watched several videos about air layering and have the basics pretty well down. The problem is most of these videos don’t cover the details I need. I want to know if it is too late in the year to start on Elm, Hornbeam or Crab apple trees? Is there any branch diameter that is considered maximum. Why do some people fasten a wire around the top of the layer? Any help will be appreciated.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take what I say with a grain of salt, but you are probably pushing it being too late to air layer. Though you are in NC so your season is longer. You'll need time to start to grow out and develop roots to the point that they can survive winter. That's your main hurdle. I'm not sure about the wire... unless that's to secure the wrap around the layer. If it's that, then it's to help keep moisture in.

I have a crab apple air layer that I started close to 2 months ago and a crape that I started about a month ago. If they've progressed well enough I may cut them off and plant them by the end of august to try to get them situated in pots for the fall and winter.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any help will be appreciated.

Here's a couple sources I used all the time starting out in bonsai, some pretty good info for beginner to intermediate level people.

As far as processes, times, specie specifics and what that wire ring is for in some instances, get reading!

Bonsai4me.com Air Layering

In fact, you may want to read all the basic and advanced technique pages if you've never seen this site before - has saved me from asking many a question on this forum.

If you don't feel like reading and want to kick back and grab some popcorn, here ya go:

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm trying my first attempts at Air Layering on several crabbies that I purchased last fall.
I did 'em back in early/mid March, and I haven't unwrapped them yet.
Any advice for "Uncle Ben"? LOL...

Thanks Muchly!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you have crape myrtles, try one of those for your first go. They root super easy, you can do as big a one as you have a container for, you can get roots in 30-45 days.

Here is one I did start the beginning of May and separated June 4.
6FD3C868-8D84-4F12-B2CA-DBF57BF0C949.jpeg

Top Bottom