Air layering questions

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey guys I found a an European larch today that was 75% off so I jumped on it. I want to do an air layers and I was curious as to what would happen if attempt to begin the air layers now with the intent of leaving it till next spring to remove?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know what would happen, but I've considered starting one this year too.

I changed my mind, due to the possibility of the layer freezing. Instead I think I will "style" that section as best I can and start an air layer early spring next year.

Not sure on the hardiness of European Larch, but if you can leave it on a bench all winter I think starting an air layer now would be fine.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@eb84327
I don't have any experience with larch but I think generally you can start layers anytime, it just matters when they're separated.

I changed my mind, due to the possibility of the layer freezing.
I've heard of people wrapping the whole sphagnum ball with bubble wrap to insulate it. If using a pot, it might be a little difficult to wrap though.

I have an Emperor 1 j.m. I've been layering now for three years, and last fall it finally pushed a lot of roots, and I meant to wrap mine up but never got around to it... The roots didn't make it through the winter. I should probably check on them:oops:

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know what would happen, but I've considered starting one this year too.

I just started one a couple weeks ago, and have plans still for more. I really wanted to get it done in early June, but had too much going on. I think I might still be able to get them potted before our first hard frost.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Johnathan
What I meant to say in my last post though was that you and I might have time enough to get them potted before winter; my usual first frost is around Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I don't think @eb84327 has enough time this season.

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I did a lionhead maple , triple airlayer for our club last year. had good roots by the fall, and when the leaves fell off, I put it in the basement. didn't want the roots to freeze. the tree didn't need light, 55 degrees, just check once in a while to make sure the spag was moist. this spring all three leafed out, cut them off and potted them up at the club and raffled them off. sk.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did a lionhead maple , triple airlayer for our club last year. had good roots by the fall, and when the leaves fell off, I put it in the basement. didn't want the roots to freeze. the tree didn't need light, 55 degrees, just check once in a while to make sure the spag was moist. this spring all three leafed out, cut them off and potted them up at the club and raffled them off. sk.

I am interested to know how long you had between starting the air layer and when you moved it inside. I am experimenting with my first air layering on two different kinds of Maple, one being a Lionhead (air layering off sections was the entire reason I purchased the Shishi). I am debating on if I will be able to (or should?) remove the Shishi layer this fall, or in the spring (I have a place to protect the tree from a hard freeze). Had I been smarter, I would have started two layers on the Shishi, so I could try both methods. But I have never been accused of being smart. A smart ass yes, smart no. ;-P

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
started in spring and could have cut in fall, but didn't want to take a chance with new tender roots in a small pot, so I brought the tree inside when the leaves dropped, cut the following spring when new leaves came out.. sk.

Top Bottom