Air layering sanko Kaku Japanese maple

Reaction score
hi guys. I have a Japanese maple that’s about 3 foot or so high. Problem is that before the trunk splits off it is too far away from the roots. Can I air layer it now. And when can I reduce the top to be in per portion with the new high of the layer. I live outside of Knoxville, Tennessee

Attachments

• F483B209-2015-4195-BFF4-732E9CDFD74E.jpeg
    F483B209-2015-4195-BFF4-732E9CDFD74E.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 510D5080-E2F9-442A-9EE2-0F9AA906C66E.jpeg
    510D5080-E2F9-442A-9EE2-0F9AA906C66E.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 28

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Other people and I have had trouble air layering sangos; there's a thread somewhere about it. Take notes on what you did, and report back if you're successful!

Last year when I tried the leaves above the girdle dried up in about a week but the buds stayed viable for some time. The trunk started turning black and this spring it was obvious everything above the girdle died...

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Other people and I have had trouble air layering sangos; there's a thread somewhere about it. Take notes on what you did, and report back if you're successful!

Last year when I tried the leaves above the girdle dried up in about a week but the buds stayed viable for some time. The trunk started turning black and this spring it was obvious everything above the girdle died...
Trees seal off damage. When we prune a branch, we remove the flow of auxin in the bucket brigade from one cambium cell to the next that always goes downward toward the roots. When we make a girdle, we similarly remove the basipedal flow of auxin. So, it seems remarkable that one can make a girdle and not instantly provoke the natural damage response (CODIT) - which would be for some cambium cells to die and in turn cause the xylem to get sealed off or clogged. I've had this happen characteristically with layers of a.p. "Higasayama" and on a few occasions with other a.p. varieties.

In fact, I find it somewhat remarkable that we can cut girdles and make successful layers. My explanation of why we can is that some auxin is in the phloem which can flow upward toward the girdle from a branch below. Hence, if enough auxin gets carried up to the bottom of the girdle (along with photosynthate) it can be unloaded from the phloem and keep those cambium cells at the bottom of the girdle alive. Some species and some varieties (e.g. a.p. "Higasayama") apparently don't conduct phloem stuff upward so well and those critical cambium cells die sometime during the season. In turn the xylem gets sealed and the layer is now a cutting --> desiccation ensues.

The remedy, it seems to me would be to somehow maintain the basipedal auxin flow at the bottom of the girdle. Possibly some augar (ala Thimann-Skoog) or lanolin loaded with IBA applied to the top of the girdle could do this. I have slopped IBA doped lanolin on a girdle and it wasn't successful. It could be that the paste got exhausted. I don't know. But I am convinced that Polar Auxin Transport is a fundamental part of this.

Maybe make the top of the girdle right at a node (nodes are auxin sources). Maybe make the girdle immediately above a leafed branchlet (then let it project out of the bag of sphagnum or pot of rooting substrate).

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting stuff.

My explanation of why we can is that some auxin is in the phloem which can flow upward toward the girdle from a branch below
This is confusing because by girdling, aren't we interrupting the phloem completely? How would auxin flow upwards from a branch below when there is no phloem left intact? Or are you talking about on the scale of cells?

I have never heard of using lanolin, what does this hypothetically do for the basipedal flow of auxin? Does this basically just keep the conduits open so to speak?

My problem may have been scraping too much of the xylem away, because within a week the leaves dried up. It wasn't until a couple months later that I noticed the bark turning black (codit response) which totally makes sense. I actually remember having a hard time making the cut because of so many branches originating from the trunk where I was cutting. I always try to make my cuts right at or just below a node just for the reason of more activity physiologically in the plant. If I try this again on my sango, I may try cutting "windows" through to the xylem instead of completely girdling the trunk, any thoughts on this? I guess the trick would be initiating root development instead of just callus formation...

Maybe make the girdle immediately above a leafed branchlet (then let it project out of the bag of sphagnum or pot of rooting substrate).
I actually have done that on another j.m. that worked out pretty well. Do you suggest this to get around any auxin transport issues and codit responses?

Thanks for all of this, I love troubleshooting these kinds of things!

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is confusing because by girdling, aren't we interrupting the phloem completely? How would auxin flow upwards from a branch below when there is no phloem left intact? Or are you talking about on the scale of cells?
Yes, interrupted across the girdle, but remains continuous with anything below. The phloem can carry stuff up/down. It is pressurized by the active loading of stuff from the foliage. Otherwise the stuff just oozes down the tree because of gravity. The active 'life above' signal is auxin handed off from cambium cell to cambium cell that only goes downward toward the roots (Polar Auxin Transport). So, I am suggesting that some auxin with photosynthates gets carried upward to the base of the girdle in the phloem. Then it is the unloading of auxin, in particular, from the phloem into the cambium cells that maintains the 'life above' signal so that we can do air layers. I posit that some varieties don't do so well at carrying stuff upward in the phloem and hence the cambium looses the 'life above'signal and dies. In the process of kicking off, these cells emit an ethylene precursor that gets dumped into the xylem (which in turn signals to xylem parenchyma to seal off the xylem).

I have never heard of using lanolin, what does this hypothetically do for the basipedal flow of auxin? Does this basically just keep the conduits open so to speak?
Exposed cambium cells seem to inevitably regenerate phloem and bark if moist (dry, of course, it desiccates) This may be why my attempts to provide auxin artificially failed - the new epiderm won't admit IBA (if so, recutting the bottom of the girdle and reapplying IBA would be the obvious 'fix')? Lanolin or augar pastes are a standard tool in plant biology for administering experimental chemical treatments. Basically they hold a supply of stuff (like a plant hormone) that slowly finds its way out and into the plant tissues to which it was applied - talk to Google.

My problem may have been scraping too much of the xylem away, because within a week the leaves dried up. It wasn't until a couple months later that I noticed the bark turning black (codit response) which totally makes sense. I actually remember having a hard time making the cut because of so many branches originating from the trunk where I was cutting. I always try to make my cuts right at or just below a node just for the reason of more activity physiologically in the plant.
I've had this happen when I tried to make approach grafts with 1/8th inch-ish stems and scraped away the bark and cambium on the 'inside' so the 'approacher' (for lack of a term; it isn't a 'scion' per se, nor a thread) wouldn't push out of the groove. After a few days the brown/black bark of cambium death ... (and you know the rest). So, definitely, cutting away too much xylem can also be a problem.

As my previous diatribe outlined, I think it important to make the girdle just above a node, not just below. The remarkable thing is that roots can be generated from cambium/pericyle anywhere. Vegetative buds, on the other hand, only occur at nodes. The two (buds, roots) have no direct relatationship. An excess of auxin primes any cambium paricyle tissue to become a root tip. While I may be deluded, I do believe this is fact and that it is the singular most significant thing (I think) I've learned in about a decade of messing with woody plants.

I may try cutting "windows" through to the xylem instead of completely girdling the trunk, any thoughts on this? I guess the trick would be initiating root development instead of just callus formation...
Windows have never worked for me. With most a.p. too much auxin is passed by the bridges to maintain the high auxin levels need to If I try this again on my sango, generate roots. There was a thread a couple of years ago that discussed ground layering with vertical cuts and IBA in PEG. I tried vertical cuts painted with 3kppm IBA + 1250ppm NAA in PEG40 on a.p. "Higasayama", a.p. " Nishiki" and an acer shirawawanum. The cuts simply healed shut. I even remade the vertical cuts and repainted them in mid-season and they did nothing but 'heal' the cuts. Meanwhile I did produce a successful layer of the very same shirasawanum with a standard complete girdle. Try windows, if you like - I predict failure. Nevertheless, I am trying this on my nemesis a.p. "Higasayama".
I love troubleshooting these kinds of things!
Birds of a feather. :cool:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, interrupted across the girdle, but remains continuous with anything below
Sorry my feeble brain isn't getting this... When you say below, do you mean towards the branch/trunk tip, or below meaning towards the roots?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry my feeble brain isn't getting this... When you say below, do you mean towards the branch/trunk tip, or below meaning towards the roots?
below = toward roots (or on the root side of the girdle)
above = toward branch tips (or on the branch tip side of the girdle).

Not meaning to be overbearing,
girdle = ring of removed bark, phloem, and cambium (a thing).
Bark, phloem, and cambium are intact above the girdle (toward the branch tips).
Bark, phloem, and cambium are intact below the girdle (toward the roots)
Bark, phloem, and cambium are removed from the girdle. Only the xylem remains
Xylem is continuous above the girdle, through the girdle, and below the girdle.
Bark, phloem, and cambium are interrupted by the girdle.
PAT occurs in the cambium and always goes downward, from branch tips toward the root.

trunk-jpg.139462

Hopefully this clarifies my "mubo-jumbo".

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@0soyoung
I figured out why I was confused... For some reason, earlier in the posts when you were saying the bottom of the girdle, I was thinking bottom of the future layer (top of the girdle). I was trying to figure out how the auxin would make it up there from the girdled bottom o_O...

All good info from your last post, which I'm familiar with, but will hopefully also help others reading this thread. Apologies to the OP for derailing this...

Top Bottom