Air layering Shantung maple?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody have experience doing this?

I can't imagine it's that hard and is probably similar with most maples, but with the thicker bark, is there any difficulties? I've tried searching online and here about how successful this is but not really coming up with much for the specific species.

@thumblessprimate1
I read some of your posts about your Shantung, have you come across anything about air layering these in your travels?

@Stickroot
I saw you were selling some earlier in the year, have you ever propagated from layers, do you have any tips?

This was a starter in a 6" pot that I bought from Meehan's last summer, repotted into a 2gal shortly after purchase and I'm probably going to repot soon into a squat 5gal. or 7gal.

As purchased:
IMG_20170611_185156944.jpg
IMG_20170611_185205539.jpg

And current:
1532207824963773979668.jpg
1532207902283-1182411337.jpg

Since this was a stick in a pot with the top chopped off, I now have two branches splitting off at the top that I would like to layer off and possibly try for a twin trunk:

1532208184219153480416.jpg1532208298448-1053807228.jpg

I'm kind of on a twin trunk/multi trunk kick right now and would like to salvage the top while I get to work on the bottom half, and because I'm cheap...

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody have experience doing this?

I can't imagine it's that hard and is probably similar with most maples, but with the thicker bark, is there any difficulties? I've tried searching online and here about how successful this is but not really coming up with much for the specific species.

@thumblessprimate1
I read some of your posts about your Shantung, have you come across anything about air layering these in your travels?

@Stickroot
I saw you were selling some earlier in the year, have you ever propagated from layers, do you have any tips?

This was a starter in a 6" pot that I bought from Meehan's last summer, repotted into a 2gal shortly after purchase and I'm probably going to repot soon into a squat 5gal. or 7gal.

As purchased:
View attachment 202068
View attachment 202069

And current:
View attachment 202070
View attachment 202071

Since this was a stick in a pot with the top chopped off, I now have two branches splitting off at the top that I would like to layer off and possibly try for a twin trunk:

View attachment 202076View attachment 202077

I'm kind of on a twin trunk/multi trunk kick right now and would like to salvage the top while I get to work on the bottom half, and because I'm cheap...
Yeah, I went NUTS! I have them coming out my uhhh! Got lots of them? I haven’t been able to do anything except take care of thousands of trees all season. Retirement.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have them coming out my uhhh! Got lots of them
Ok cool, wasn't sure if they'd be easy to layer like Amurs and Tridents or tricky like some palmatums.

I'm still trying to layer this season, and wasn't sure if I could expect roots sooner than later. I've had Amurs take 4 weeks from start to finish.

Mike Toy

Seedling
Reaction score
I have tried to air layer my shantung maple 3 times and been unsuccessful every time. Probably something I'm missing. I did manage to find d a very thorough college study on the trees. File is attached.

Attachments

• JustinBrock2014.pdf
    940.5 KB · Views: 24

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Mike Toy
Thanks for the link, there's some very interesting things in there, and I've only finished about half of it. It has definitely given me some ideas!

Mike Toy

Seedling
Reaction score
@Mike Toy
Thanks for the link, there's some very interesting things in there, and I've only finished about half of it. It has definitely given me some ideas!
Good! I've got a blog on YouTube with some videos of the one I've had for years. Search "Bonsai Boise" and there should be a playlist called Shantung Maple. Most of them are from 4 or 5 years ago before I had any idea what I was doing! Lol. So try not to judge too bad. I attached some pictures of mine that are fairly recent. Maybe 2 months or so. It still has a long way to go but I've learned so much about them that it has become my favorite tree by far.7fa7ab64da3e3f2283a3d5a31dc74fe7.jpg7fa7ab64da3e3f2283a3d5a31dc74fe7.jpg091563e35076756768535dc1edd6960e.jpg88d25e1cc78666a6fa91593e7b1009cd.jpg4c684e2a3f010eb0e59d801f77d746fc.jpg4af2b7ae7d1dbb41fb58fa83797e13b7.jpg9a81594d7d2321b03cba5fdafbde83bb.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll definitely check out your YouTube page!

I love the bark on these, yours shows me what I have to look forward to, thanks.

I'm not going to attempt an air layer anymore this season, but may try for some cuttings. From that paper you linked, seems like now is the perfect time to try using semi-hardwood cuttings.

When I found this tree digging around one of the hoop houses at Meehan's, I thought it was an odd type of palmatum, but when I brought it up to Hugh, he told me what it was and I had at that time only heard of Shantung maples. I knew nothing about them, but I had to have it after doing a quick search on my phone.

In my excitement for finding a unique maple, I failed to notice the length of the petioles. But the awesome bark, different leaves, and stunning fall color make up for it in my opinion. I mostly enjoy the winter silhouettes for deciduous trees anyways, so it won't bother me much.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Mike Toy

You definitely have some cool stuff! I like your maple experiments especially, and it looks like you have a lot of trees to play with!

I'm guessing your Shantung air layers didn't take? After reading that research paper, it seems they don't like excessive amounts of auxin, so maybe in the future we should try using no rooting hormone or weak amounts.

How are your Shantung cuttings going? Hard to tell from the video, but that paper suggests using 6-8" semi hardwood cuttings with just recently lignified wood. I should really try for some...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Mike Toy

Good stuff! I hope it makes it! I don't know really anything about their temperament, but being a maple, its chances are good that it'll pull through and hopefully the air layer too.

I'm glad you posted these because I had forgotten about this thread, and about the article you posted. I never took any cuttings or an air layer last season, but this is the year! I also forgot the info from the article saying to probably not use any auxin during propagation, so that's good!

Mike Toy

Seedling
Reaction score
@Mike Toy

Good stuff! I hope it makes it! I don't know really anything about their temperament, but being a maple, its chances are good that it'll pull through and hopefully the air layer too.

I'm glad you posted these because I had forgotten about this thread, and about the article you posted. I never took any cuttings or an air layer last season, but this is the year! I also forgot the info from the article saying to probably not use any auxin during propagation, so that's good!

How is yours doing now? Would love to see the progress if you happen to take any pictures

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Mike Toy

Took a couple pics, enjoying an after work beer:cool::cool::cool: It's just starting to extend buds, I'm debating repotting it, I might pull the trigger... Like I said, not much too look at but here it is:

IMG_20190328_190624070.jpg

Here is the part that I'll attempt to air layer this year, it has a lot of movement, probably more than what shows up. I'm still on my multi trunk kick;):

IMG_20190328_190700954.jpg

Mike Toy

Seedling
Reaction score
Update on the Shantung Maple air layering. It failed. Rather, "they" failed, since I tried on 2 different spots. However, 2 of the cuttings stayed alive all summer and fall, and I hope they survive the winter. Here is the video on the cuttings from July. And here is a summer update on the tree itself. And since I'm link happy tonight, here is the fall update.

@thumblessprimate1
@cbroad
@Stickroot

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried air layering mine this summer and when I checked the last time in fall, nothing happening yet... I'll reopen the bag come spring and see if there's any callus forming or maybe roots, and figure out my next course of action.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Earlier this spring I checked the air layer, not too much was going on... Everything was looking good upstairs still so I decided to re-scrape below the girdling cut, just in case anything was trying to bridge.

About a month ago I noticed some new growth pushing on the main trunk below the layer, which in my experience is a good sign the layer is taking. I checked in the bag, no roots yet but some callusing had finally started.

The layer was started on 7/4/19, so far over a year in... From my reading, these are very difficult to propagate from layers, I'm hoping mine will produce roots next year.

Pics from today, decent callus now since last check:
IMG_20200818_175317985.jpg
IMG_20200818_175312947.jpg

*BONUS*
Sneaking in some pics of a sweet baby copperhead I found today!
IMG_20200818_114458939.jpg
IMG_20200818_114724092.jpg

Top Bottom