Air layering this A. Palmatum (Orange dream)

Reaction score
This Maple i bought for 25 euro( and yes there are some bucks) , 5 year ago. It had some up's and down's with this one.
I want to air layer this one.

Stuppid me will take a short cut. and cut of all the branches in the tree. and make a nice nebari.
Today i asked myself a question.??? should i get more out of this maple. Some sohin, kifu. perhaps mane.

Damm, it will take years.

What would you do?
IMG_7911.JPG
IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7909.JPG IMG_7907.JPG

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First I would get it out of that pot and put it in a flat grow box to develop the radial roots.

Then I would air-layer off and all the large branches that don't fit into your design. I see a short stumpy tree in there... once you eliminate the branches that won't work.

Reaction score
First I would get it out of that pot and put it in a flat grow box to develop the radial roots.

Then I would air-layer off and all the large branches that don't fit into your design. I see a short stumpy tree in there... once you eliminate the branches that won't work.
Thanks, i agree. :cool:

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It depends on how patient you are. You could rationalize that it cost 25eur.
and you don't need to get more than one tree from it.
I would probably hard prune it and let all the energy of the tree give you the maximum development for the one large tree.
The second pic with the hammer looks like a nice front. You definitely should post some photos when this on leafs out. They are spectacular!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the tree. Good price for it! My suggestion would be to make more trees out of it. As it is, there are some areas I think are problematic marked yellow. Straight sections. In red, I indicated places you could airlayer when ready to get more trees that could be developed further for taper and movement. They'll be smaller but better trees in my opinion.
20200204_104355.jpg

Reaction score
It depends on how patient you are. You could rationalize that it cost 25eur.
and you don't need to get more than one tree from it.
I would probably hard prune it and let all the energy of the tree give you the maximum development for the one large tree.
The second pic with the hammer looks like a nice front. You definitely should post some photos when this on leafs out. They are spectacular!
Thanks, I'm patient. I cut it really hard last summer and yesterday. I really am glad with that nebari. The front where the hamers is, is the baddest front. Thats the smallest point off the nebari.
I'll post some pics in the future. Here is one when I just bought it in 2014.
68965250_561988397669394_6031834847683543040_n.jpg

Reaction score
I like the tree. Good price for it! My suggestion would be to make more trees out of it. As it is, there are some areas I think are problematic marked yellow. Straight sections. In red, I indicated places you could airlayer when ready to get more trees that could be developed further for taper and movement. They'll be smaller but better trees in my opinion.
View attachment 282220
Thanks, I should have bought more then, there where 5. I'm sticking too the drawing I made. The only thing considering is the lowest red line you draw, that will be a nice 2 trunk and not a slingshot. Lets see whats happening when it grows and I cut graft and wired it.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, I should have bought more then, there where 5. I'm sticking too the drawing I made. The only thing considering is the lowest red line you draw, that will be a nice 2 trunk and not a slingshot. Lets see whats happening when it grows and I cut graft and wired it.
Update?

Top Bottom