Air Layering Thuja, what strength of rooting powder?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

I am going to air layer the top off a Thuja I have in my yard, I was wondering if any one had any experience with this, specifically the strength of the rooting powder. I have one that is .4% and one that is .8% IBA any ideas if one of these will do?

Thanks

Chris

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Air layering doesn't require IBA, but it does 'kick start' the rooting process. Use your 0.8% IBA, if anything.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Okay Thanks a lot.
Chris

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay Thanks a lot.
Chris

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to know if you were successful completing your air layer?

I too have an eastern white cedar that I would like to air layer, as the bottom half should create a formidable bonsai where as the top half is a shame to cut off and discard as it was trained for many years.

Anyone else had success air layering EWC's?

Thanks in advance.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi, I did use the .8% and no it did not take, it grew over and closed the gap. My guess is I didn't cut deep enough or I left remnants of the the removed ring. Kind of tough to be sure on all sides at the top of an 8' ladder (access restricted to one side) Shame, I had a lot of hope for it.
Good luck!
Chris

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi, I did use the .8% and no it did not take, it grew over and closed the gap. My guess is I didn't cut deep enough or I left remnants of the the removed ring. Kind of tough to be sure on all sides at the top of an 8' ladder (access restricted to one side) Shame, I had a lot of hope for it.
Good luck!
Chris
Pack a hand mirror to check your work on the far side of the tree. Also, bring some 70% isopropyl alcohol to put on a rag with which you thoroughly wipe it down before bundling it up. Its best to leave the girdle open to the air for a day or so, but at the top of an 8 foot ladder ... as you say. The isopropyl will do the deed.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks, how about 99%, would that be too strong?
Chris

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
99% will kill the cambium which is what you want.

I would cut the gap, wipe down completely with IPA, the RECUT 1mm of the top of the cut to ensure that there is live cambium where you want the callus and root formation to come from.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Bobby,

Could I recut at the same spot, there is some swelling.

Chris

Top Bottom