Air layering Trident maple

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Hello
Last week i air-layered my trident. I used spagnum moss and cocopeat as layering medium.
I hope i'll share good results :)

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3970.jpg
    IMG_3970.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 96

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It should take, Acer buergerianum usually responds well to this technique.

It must be pretty hot in Izmir at the moment (it's 26°C here today !), so you'd better keep it in the shade...

Güle güle ! :)

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
It should take, Acer buergerianum usually responds well to this technique.

It must be pretty hot in Izmir at the moment (it's 26°C here today !), so you'd better keep it in the shade...

Güle güle ! :)
yes, i live in a hot climate, 20-22°C these days…"hot like hell" days are coming soon :(
bonne journée monsieur :)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also nice that you made your cuts on an angle. It ads some immediate movement to the future trunk. So many people make air layer cuts straight across an already boring cylinder of a trunk, resulting in a boring air layered trunk. Good job on yours.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had limited success here in TX. Have a landscape tree that I have to try again because it will likely be dug up. Tried a few times using traditional methods but it always bridged the gap... I ended up cutting a band at least as wide as the diameter, cutting a groove, painting with rooting hormone, then wrapping a wire. bagged up with sphag. finally had 2 work.

Any thoughts on methods welcome!

Brian is right- you have to envision your future trunk and angle-cuts are allowed. You actually don't even have to make it a smooth cut if you want a bit of randomness to root emergence. I've seen/done them with a concave cutter and cleaned up with a knife.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had limited success here in TX. Have a landscape tree that I have to try again because it will likely be dug up. Tried a few times using traditional methods but it always bridged the gap... I ended up cutting a band at least as wide as the diameter, cutting a groove, painting with rooting hormone, then wrapping a wire. bagged up with sphag. finally had 2 work.

Any thoughts on methods welcome!

Brian is right- you have to envision your future trunk and angle-cuts are allowed. You actually don't even have to make it a smooth cut if you want a bit of randomness to root emergence. I've seen/done them with a concave cutter and cleaned up with a knife.

1.The wire is very effective to help prevent bridging as well as create more flare in the callus formation. 2.
2. One method recommends a rough tooth saw cut to the cambium to promote more randomness in root production rather than a flat radial flare. Toriki method and tool by Masakuni. I have tried this with good results. Made my own tool with a piece of old saw blade.
3. Slanted cut can make even distribution of roots less likely. If trying that method I would tilt the pot to get the air layer cut sitting on a more even orientation!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job.
I'm wondering, if you have a lot of top growth going on now? Just wondering, because I thought you need a good amount of top growth to 'feed' new roots into the growing medium. Curious....
Anyway, hoping for the best for you,
Rob

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
What @Taiko-Earth says. In my opinion not much of a growth on top. That growth drives production of roots - sugars and starches produced by leaves that cannot travel down towards roots induce creation of new roots at cut site.

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Nice job.
I'm wondering, if you have a lot of top growth going on now? Just wondering, because I thought you need a good amount of top growth to 'feed' new roots into the growing medium. Curious....
Anyway, hoping for the best for you,
Rob
Do you mean new growth after air-layering? Yes, but not much for now :rolleyes:

Top Bottom