air pots

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
So I have been playing with these air pots for a year now. Really like them for 3 reasons. One I can adjust the depth of the pot. Two they come apart easy so I don't have to disturb the roots much to move plants to a larger pot. Three I run a automatic water system and with good draining soil I really haven't noticed any problems with over watering. The pic is of today. Taking advantage of the warm day and still frozen pots to repot. This Dawn redwood clipping had half a year to grow. Filled half a 1 gallon pot with super fine roots. Its a fast growing plant so not surprised.

Attachments

• IMG_20150308_111313.jpg
    IMG_20150308_111313.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 162

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems like a good concept, my only problem is the price. Because currently i pay 50 cent for a pot and i can cut a rim of it, and also i don't get bothered when i need to repot tree's in a cheap pot (turn it upside down and ur good to go).

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yea they are expensive the big pots especially so. Think they come from eroupe. Plastics heavy duty but they should be cheaper. Perhaps the price will come down eventually.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't tell from the photo what an "airpot" is.
Can you please describe it?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob,

no cut to Vance but this is old technology, and was recommended back in the 50's in the book -

How to grow and Cultivate miniature living trees - John Kiktavi -copyright July 1949
page - 8

I suspect if I researched it further, it was a feature discovered in the 1800's or around the 1930's.
Good Day
Anthony

* Much of the "New " ideas in Bonsai are old ideas from books in the 50's and because Bonsai is not a profession in the West, like say Medical Doctor, the ideas are forgotten, because most folk don't like to read.
I have noted a trend towards re-discovery on going in the Bonsai Hobby.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you Anthony for clearing that up.

The Vikings discovered America, or was it the Chinese, or the Polynesians, or the Jews or the Egyptians or the Sumerians, or the Celts or the Irish the list goes on---------The point is I guess; though you can argue a host of discoverers only Columbus didn't lose it and forget how to find it again. The US Patent office granted me a patent on the device: #5,274,952. I had to prove my research going back into the 70's though the patent was not issued before 1994.

What have you done for bonsai?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Rob,

no cut to Vance but this is old technology, and was recommended back in the 50's in the book -

How to grow and Cultivate miniature living trees - John Kiktavi -copyright July 1949
page - 8

I suspect if I researched it further, it was a feature discovered in the 1800's or around the 1930's.
Good Day
Anthony

* Much of the "New " ideas in Bonsai are old ideas from books in the 50's and because Bonsai is not a profession in the West, like say Medical Doctor, the ideas are forgotten, because most folk don't like to read.
I have noted a trend towards re-discovery on going in the Bonsai Hobby.

Not fighting with you but Vance is a patent holder. Also it never hurts to give credit where it is due. Seems like a character thing to me.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance.

I have no idea how to respond to you, as I said it was not meant to be a cut.

Rob,

I respect Vance, and like his work. However, how come he isn't pig stinkin rich, all those other copycats, and no one paying him royalties.
It's old information, and it is sad to watch Vance pull himself down.
Best to you two.
Good Day
Anthony

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Anthony. Have you ever tried to get a patent? First of all it takes years even with an attorney. The entire process takes a lot of money; mine cost $3,000 and that was just for the US Patent. Getting international patents is an entirely different matter about $3000 per patent per area Europe Asia and elsewhere.

Fileing a patent infringment suite is also expensive and if I had gone down that road understanding that most of the rip offs were being produced out side of the patent's area of authority the efficacy of any suite was severely in question. I just did not have the money to do this and consequently the system was ripped off once I had established its usefulness to the cultivation of bonsai.

I don't really understand your comment about watching Vance pull himself down? Could you please elaborate?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let me add a few facts about the Patent process. When you file for a patent you are required to perform a patent search to determine if your application is unique enough to warrant being awarded a patent for new technology or application of an existing technology. I had to defend my patent against about six different devices. I was required to address each device and how mine was different. In one case I actually had to pay to have the "existing technology" translated from French and supply the translation along with my rebutal. In all the process took over three years. The patent office ruled that my device was unique enough to warrant it's own patent.

The year my patent was awarded an article about growing bonsai in colanders was published in Bonsai Today. No matter who is to blame or awarded credit, no matter where the influence or inspiration for growing bonsai in perforated planters came from, the truth is; most of you who do this with colanders or pond baskets or some other concoction of wire and screen, would not be doing it if it were not for the events that took place in 1994. You can blame or credit whom ever you please.

You have to recognize some facts. Henry Ford did not invent the Automobile it was some dude named (Porche) in Germany. It was Ford that made the manufacturing of it practical and available. The list is long but if you want to take the time to look some up you have the same resources I have.

Last edited:

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Vance let me ask this. With your permission could I produce the same thing in the US?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not looking for a fight... But trying to understand what was available at the time and from there, what did Vance change?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance let me ask this. With your permission could I produce the same thing in the US?

You can now because the patent has expired. A patent has a sixteen year life span, if you spend the $3000 every three years to maintain it. If you want to find out more I already gave you the Patent number you should be able to view the documentation if you desire to do a search. As to your other questions/questions--------am I on trial here? I did what I did the US Patent Office agreed. I have done everything I can to support and sell this technology even though I was supporting the very items that destroyed my ability to make any kind of money from years of hard work. I think I have donated enough to the cause of bonsai on this issue. If you think someone else is worthy of credit then you go out and find them and ask them how to grow bonsai; where are they?. If you or anyone else wants to discredit me or diminish my efforts I can't stop you but I wont help you do it.

If you or anyone else wants to ask me questions about how to use these things I am more than happy to help and assist, I think the record on the this site and others, is testament to that fact. Do I sound miffed?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sorry Vance, I did not mean to stir anything up. I just like to credit people who come up with things. I suppose it is all the research I have done and papers I have written. I have in the past felt the sting of having someone else profit from my work and it's not very fun.

Also, I appreciate you and sometimes just want others to know the level of people who post on the boards.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't worry about it Rob, I appreciate your recognition. You did not stir anything up I cannot handle. It is of course an amazement to me the kind of people who protest anything anyone else does that they haven't done or thought of doing.

I really do appreciate your opinion of me I only hope I deserve it. As to the level of people that post here? There are people that would debate that as you have seen.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have been playing with these air pots for a year now. Really like them for 3 reasons. One I can adjust the depth of the pot. Two they come apart easy so I don't have to disturb the roots much to move plants to a larger pot. Three I run a automatic water system and with good draining soil I really haven't noticed any problems with over watering. The pic is of today. Taking advantage of the warm day and still frozen pots to repot. This Dawn redwood clipping had half a year to grow. Filled half a 1 gallon pot with super fine roots. Its a fast growing plant so not surprised.

How is the grow rate comparing with traditional pots or ground grow? Does it help branching? Is it a problem to develop nebari with air-pots?
I guess people commented about patent and none horticultural issues cause most of us have not use this new technology.. Its a shame when a good post goes wrong like that :(

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The growth rate is not as great as it is in the ground because the roots are slowed when they encounter the screens. However; the roots do not grow around like they do in a pot they branch out and continue growing and branching out rather than running in any one direction. The result is a redirecting of the auxin distribution. I was granted a patent on this device in 1994 and is the subject of my avatar. The device does work.

Top Bottom