Air pruning pot, how to properly use it

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Hi, first of sorry for my rookie question, I am a bonsai beginner, new join to this nice comunity too.
I have a couple of juniper prebonsai from nursery, I must pot them from black plastic bags to training pots and I would like to use air pruning pot, notting special, plastic square colanders with apropriate size, soil is a 50% organic, 50% unorganic mix.
I am going to use the pot as a "normal pot", I mean I do not put them on the ground.
My question: once roots begin to appear, comming out from the holes, what should I do? Trim them?
Once the root system colonises the entire colander I must slip pot the juniper to a bigger one?
Thanks so much for your help.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
My question: once roots begin to appear, comming out from the holes, what should I do? Trim them?

You don't have to do anything. The root tips will die once they're exposed to the outside for a few days. The death of the tip should signal the root to possibly start branching further back, creating more fine roots.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks so much SeanS!
Once the colander is full, the roots system has colonised it fully, what should I do, slip pot in a bigger one?
Thanks again !

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey...was this you?
xvvao9uavs761.jpg

Welcome to Crazy!

I think the most important thing you can do after it's colonized, is be sure you're getting enough water to everything. Sometimes dunk watering becomes a necessity. Or leaning it over and watering every side.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Hey...was this you?
View attachment 414718

Welcome to Crazy!

I think the most important thing you can do after it's colonized, is be sure you're getting enough water to everything. Sometimes dunk watering becomes a necessity. Or leaning it over and watering every side.

Sorce

Ugh idk how anyone can like Pink floyd, stupid crap music, Cardi B its much better

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks so much for all your help!!!
By the way Arnold, Cardi B, is way much better...........

Top Bottom