Air Pruning Pots

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have heard good things in the use of pots that air prune a trees root systems while a tree is in the developmental stage but have never tried them. As from what I've found there seems to be three main types 1) the cone shaped wall variety 2) net pots or pond basket pots 3) cloth pots (essentially burlap pots). My question would be is there a type that works best? And do the three types differ or are they just different means to an end? I'm interested in trying some of my trees in them so hearing from anyone with personal experience with this subject would be great.

-Mike

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
yes and no

for the most part all smart pots root prune.....

some root prune because of root contact with air, others with chemicals in cloth, and others limit size of root escaping pot.

I doubt burlap would control outward root growth like the smat(er) pots.

I have much experience with rootmaker and super root pots. aka air pots (air prune), and have had great results.

I have a few "spin out" bags, which are essentially felt bags coated with copper hydroxide coating. I don't think the air/water circulation with these bags are as good as "air" pots. but the growth verdict is still out.

i cannot attest to cone shaped pots, but i like what the the rootmaker multi cell to 3inch pots do for small stater plants. I do have experience with rootmaker grounder (5 gal), but only above ground, i think this pot is best in ground. ....It is cone shaped....i this what you are referring to?

rootmaker makes a net fabric bag, which im anxious to test because you get the best of both worlds, (not to mention cost effective) allows for air pruning and allows for escape rooting from bottom. I'm currently trying to get my rootmakers to root out bottom of pot, to get the best of both worlds. the net fabric essential chokes root allowing only smaller roots out ........

also there are more varieties of smart(er) pots with different technology/and grow theories than you have listed.

I think any of the air pots are superior to standard nursery pots. although there is science that begs to differ with regards to top growth. But for our goals definitely superior.

the key to these pots are controlling the: soil mix, watering and feeding, to the trees needs to get maximum growth.

i hate to challenge dogma "why the earth is not a pot", but air pots do challenge this science.

So to ultimately answer your questions "My question would be is there a type that works best? And do the three types differ or are they just different means to an end?"

It all depends on your resources and goals for which is best. i've seen air pots sell for over $8 each. you have to custom mix soil to watering habits and tree needs and type of pot. so given that there is no best. however i am partial to the hard sided, rootmaker/ air pruning type pot, secondly the net fabric bag.

yes they do differ, but in the end produce stronger trees with better root systems.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I have used some net pots/pond pots for about a year. I used that type because that was all I could find locally and they were much cheaper that other kinds I could find on the web. The trees have done well but I have not looked at any root systems yet and I have no way of comparing the results with other types of air pots. I also don't know yet if my soil mix-watering-fertilizing is optimized either. I am working on that. In any case, I am convinced they work

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Nearly all of my trees are in such pots. Mostly strainers from the $.99 store and some pond baskets. In addition to the obvious air pruning they allow me to water profusely and often. This is essential in Las Vegas.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Milehigh do you also fertilize more often since you water more?
My thought is since I water more often now I am washing more of the fertilizer out which in turn means I should fertilize more often.
Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that. This is my first year for using pond pots. I've always used mesh baskets before with window screen lining them. Works but they don't get the air like the pond baskets give.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I would say this portion of the article is essential to read:

"Summary: Do all three or nothing! You have no choice here. To just pick one method and refuse the others will end in disaster. Those who do 'super feeding' using old-fashioned soil, and insufficient watering will kill trees. Those who use modern substrates, aggressive watering and fertilizes like the old days will have very weak and, in the end, dead trees. That's all there is to it."

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
I'm using a handful of osmocote approx 1/3 cup every 3/4 months. My mix is turface,pine fines hydroton,and silica grit. Mix is still free drain in a few minutes. It takes about a week for mix to get dry and need water. When I can I use miracle grow every 1.5 week full strength for pines 1/2 for everything else.

A week is a good time from wet to dry and allows for good fert air water exchange. Without having overly rich running off. I don't want take time to water daily.

Pond baskets and colanders are by far the cheapest way to go followed by the net fabric bags.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main interest is that I read in another thread (cant remember where) that some air-pruning pots not only cause the formation of a more dense and fibrous root system but allow the tree to grow fast and develop quicker, almost comparable to growing the tree in the ground. That prospect interests me since It would be great to quickly develop some of my trees more quickly, especially the ones that can't be grown in ground due to zone temperament.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
My main interest is that I read in another thread (cant remember where) that some air-pruning pots not only cause the formation of a more dense and fibrous root system but allow the tree to grow fast and develop quicker, almost comparable to growing the tree in the ground. That prospect interests me since It would be great to quickly develop some of my trees more quickly, especially the ones that can't be grown in ground due to zone temperament.

When I said above that it works, that is what I meant - really vigorous growth. But it does not happen automatically. You have to have your soil, watering and fertilizing properly adjusted for your specific conditions.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, all of the "air pots" are better than standard nursery pots for growing roots. Even drilling lots of holes in nursery pots will give better roots. After all, roots are one of the determining factors for how much a tree can grow. Having said that, watering can become an issue with these pots if not aware. The J.maple in the link is container grown, 3 years in 1gal RootMaker and 2years in Anderson tray. For growing small to medium size trees it's probably faster because of the care most container plants get.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have a couple of guys in the club that have been growing for a few years and the rootmaker bags give one hell of a pot full of fiberous roots, they work for sure.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The first place I saw these pots being used was in a black pine thread posted here by Juniperus Californica (I think that's his name). I'll be forever grateful to him for sharing that idea. :D

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thread here. He seems to've had great success with these pots ;-p

Thanks, Alex. I had not read the tread you referenced and was glad to do so. I googled "smart pots" and found this link: http://www.smartpots.com/

These pots are not expensive and I plan on checking them out. Wish I had known about these back in January.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No problemo. Yeah, Smart Pots are what I use -- at least I'm pretty sure. There's a million brands that make the same thing...though there are some with much more heavy duty material that are a little more expensive. I just use the cheapest I can find.

Labreapits

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@biglou13 "rootmaker makes a net fabric bag, which im anxious to test because you get the best of both worlds"

Has anyone ever tried rootmaker's knit fabric in-ground containers? Or other grow bags? I use their 1 and 3 gal injection pots for production of landscape plants, but haven't used any of their bag products.

I have been reading "production of landscape plants 2" by Dr. Carl Whitcomb the inventor of the rootmaker system. Its a very good book about his research and nursery practices. In it he talks about using the knit fabric bags in the ground.

From reading his results it seems the in-ground grow bags may be a good way to bulk up trees for pre-bonsai.

--
Keith

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Odd questions....
Have a couple of guys in the club that have been growing for a few years and the rootmaker bags give one hell of a pot full of fiberous roots, they work for sure.
When you have a pre bonsai tree in a fabric pot, and use bonsai soil, do you tie-down the tree in some way? If yes.....How did anyone approach this part? How do you tie-down? (In a soft container)

In a wooden box or in a bonsai pot, wire can be used to secure the tree very well. Keeping the tree secure from movement probably eliminated some root problems. Fabric pots are flexible on all sides and the bottom. Is a tie-down needed?

My trees going in the fabric pot would be 12-18" tall and trunk diameters from 3" to 5". Somewhat substantial tree material. Basically, trunk-chopped trees removed from open ground growing.

Or....is a tie-down unnecessary in a fabric pot? I'd be using Smart Pots with handles. About 12" diameter.

Thoughts?......anyone?

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Odd questions....

When you have a pre bonsai tree in a fabric pot, and use bonsai soil, do you tie-down the tree in some way? If yes.....How did anyone approach this part? How do you tie-down? (In a soft container)

In a wooden box or in a bonsai pot, wire can be used to secure the tree very well. Keeping the tree secure from movement probably eliminated some root problems. Fabric pots are flexible on all sides and the bottom. Is a tie-down needed?

My trees going in the fabric pot would be 12-18" tall and trunk diameters from 3" to 5". Somewhat substantial tree material. Basically, trunk-chopped trees removed from open ground growing.

Or....is a tie-down unnecessary in a fabric pot? I'd be using Smart Pots with handles. About 12" diameter.

Thoughts?......anyone?
I can keep the chopped trees in the Smart Pots in a somewhat sheltered location after potting the trees in the fabric pots. That will help control most movement. The Turface soil will pack fairly tight to the tree preventing most wobble. I still wonder if there should be a tie down.

Top Bottom