Airlayer on mature maple advice

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
I picked up a mature maple of an unknown cultivar at an auction recently as I was interested in the pot. It's rather large without much ramification. My plan would either be to layer and see what I can make out of it or to move it to a larger pot and train it as a garden tree. Does anyone have experience layering mature trees?20230123_151608.jpg20230123_151654.jpg20230123_152159.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on type. Probably yes. Can predict better by looking at leaves.

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
Even if it's a mature specimen? I have taken plenty of maple air layers but never with mature bark. I seem to recall jonas from bonsai tonight layering mature maples but it is half remembered information.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How tall is original tree? I like it the way it is. I don't know if the 'new' tree is looking better from where you want to airlayer.

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
How tall is original tree? I like it the way it is. I don't know if the 'new' tree is looking better from where you want to airlayer.
The tree looks fine if it was a third or a half of the size. It's rather large. From top of pot 82cm20230123_173040.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree looks fine if it was a third or a half of the size. It's rather large. From top of pot 82cmView attachment 469716
I think am ok with 82 cm tree. I like the movement it has right now. There is always a risk of the top dying when you airlayer the 'whole' tree. But if you don't like the way it is then go ahead and airlayer it.

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
I think am ok with 82 cm tree. I like the movement it has right now. There is always a risk of the top dying when you airlayer the 'whole' tree. But if you don't like the way it is then go ahead and airlayer it.
I will let the tree leaf out and see how I feel. The tree is too large for my personal taste but it is in proportion which is why I am leaning to just training it as a garden tree. I am still curious as to peoples experiences with layering a mature maple

Top Bottom