Airlayered American elms

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Back in May I air layered 3 American elm trees and I am now about ready to separate the air layer and plant into a growing box. I was planning on using my regular bonsai soil mix for the growing medium (1/4 haydite, 1/4 turface, 1/4 crushed lava rock, 1/4 pine bark). Any other suggestions or something I should know about. This is my first time doing this. Thanks!

Dave V.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here is one of the American elms that I recently air layered. This one looked like it was ready to be removed and potted up. I potted it in a very well draining medium (described above). I'm thinking broom style for future design. That's my wife's lovely hand in the photo.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
air-layered American Elms

Lets try it again guys. Here are the photos.

Attachments

• 100_0033.jpg
    100_0033.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 452
  • 100_0034.jpg
    100_0034.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 100_0035.jpg
    100_0035.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 411

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wanted to bring the two lower branches down some so it doesn't look like a "V". I hope this was OK to start bending the branches. The roots looked healthy and there was a great quantity of them.

Attachments

• 100_0036.jpg
    100_0036.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dave, I think you got something there. Lots of roots. I would think that you need to pot in what ever you would normally grow in. Put it in shade for a couple of weeks until it gets established. You'll see new growth starting when that happens, then start some kind of fertilizing program. It is going to need food to survive. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

The normal growth of an elm is that vase shape. You'll see it called "broom style" in most books. I would go for that design with some of your harvested layers.

T

Tgreen

Nice roots!

Dave, It looks like you've done a good job throughout.... Healthy roots, good soil mix and and a plan for styling.

I'd be careful with those tender roots while trying to bend branches. Don't let the tree shake in the soil.
Thanks for sharing
T

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update on this elm

Here is the american elm I airlayered last spring, it's coming along very nicely. I wired it over the winter and repotted it into an Anderson flat this spring. Hope to airlayer a few more in May

DaveV

Attachments

• 100_0181.jpg
    100_0181.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 286

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work so far. Have you considered removing or shortening the first branch on the left? I'm not sure, but I whipped up a virt to take a look.

your set up in the background looks nice, and the trees do too.

Dave

Attachments

• american elm.jpg
    american elm.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 180

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks HA. Looks like a possibility. I was actually thinking about lowering the first branch on the right to match the left - but I do like your idea .

DaveV.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update on my elm

These are the up to date pictures of my air-layered american elm. It's very healthy but I think it will take some time for the trunk to thicken. Maybe I should put it in the ground for some time next spring.

Attachments

• 101_0398.jpg
    101_0398.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 101_0399.jpg
    101_0399.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 164

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think you could just reduce the canopy way down to be more in proportion with the trunk? It's come along pretty good in two years, seems a shame to put it in the ground for trunk thickening and have to start over with branching.

Did you build a wooden frame for your flat?

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an American elm that I dug up about 20yrs ago. Basically put it in a pot & just left it be. My mom had it till she passed, she just kept it has a large potted plant all this time. I have been afraid to do anything with it due to the sentimental value. Long story short I have recently been wanting to air layer it to actually make it into something more presentable. Did you just use the basic way to do yours? Cut a ring of bark, hormone, moss, water, wait? Just want to make sure I do it right so I don't break it up for no reason. Any tips are very appreicated!

Thanks.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, I build wooden frames for the Anderson flats to fit into. It helps when I move the flats around. I found that when I move the flats they can bend a little. When the trees were newly planted in the flats I did not want to disturbe the roots - sounds silly but thats what I did. I also wanted something to do in the winter.

tnax71, Yes, I just used the basic way for the air layer. I have not done a lot of them so I can't tell you about all the pit falls with air-layering. I believe elms are easy to air-laryer. I started in late April when I layered it. Hope yours works out OK.

Dave V.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Dave, firstly, I agree, the left lower branch needs to be more in line/similar size and bend of the right lower branch. Otherwise, a nice start off!

May I ask, do American Elms respond to leaf cutting to reduce leaf size? Does it back bud well? (I just got two that the city ripped up while putting in new sidewalks, as such, they may not make it, but I've got my fingers crossed ;) )

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
American Elms (except for Dutch Elm disease) are virtually indestructible. They can be drastically root pruned and will bud back like crazy. They will also reduce their leaf size especially if you constantly pinch back the new shoots. I grow them in straight Turface. They seem to love it. I feed them every week in the spring and the summer (30-10-10 and liquid ironite) and go to 0-10-10 after the first week in August. I ignore them in the winter and leave them alone in the early spring until they just start to swell their buds. Then it is off to the races-- they are very vigorous growers.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you americanelmer (great name btw!), that is good news! And Thanks for the growing info. I've still been feeding my plants with fert. with N, I thought you were supposed to do that till the end of august. I guess I'll switch over now. And I assume you also remove any slow releasing fert or cakes?

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't use slow release or cakes except for Bayer Tree & Shrub Protect and Feed. Keeps aphids, scale and ants away. The attached is a cutting taken and stuck in the pot it is in about 3 years old in the picture, The bigger tree is the mamma of the cutting. Both trees have grown substantially this year. If it ever stops raining I will take some up to date Pics

Attachments

• American_Elm Aug_29_2010.jpg
    American_Elm Aug_29_2010.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 145
  • cutting_of_AmerElm.jpg
    cutting_of_AmerElm.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 146

fore

Omono
Reaction score
No wonder I find seedlings growing everywhere if they propagate that easily lol

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here are some updates on the Elm photos I posted last week.

The "cutting" was repotted, heavily root pruned and defoliated around the middle of July. As you can see it has responded vigorously. The roots are growing out of the bottom of the container. "Momma" will be repotted and root pruned this coming spring.

Attachments

• American_Elm_momma.jpg
    American_Elm_momma.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 110
  • American_Elm_momma-2.jpg
    American_Elm_momma-2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 96
  • American_Elm_cutting-1.jpg
    American_Elm_cutting-1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 94
  • American_Elm_cutting-2.jpg
    American_Elm_cutting-2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 116

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Do you think you could just reduce the canopy way down to be more in proportion with the trunk? It's come along pretty good in two years, seems a shame to put it in the ground for trunk thickening and have to start over with branching.

This is, I think a Very Good Idea. I suspect your tree would make a very nice shohin elm.

Top Bottom