Akadama, lava rock, pumice soil - watering schedule

Tilly209

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I am using Tiny Roots Premium Bonsai Soil for my fukien tea Bonsai. The soil consists of akadama, lava rock, and pumice. I'll water my tree one day, but by the next day the soil looks and feels dry to me. Should I water my tree daily? I thought this type of soil was supposed to retain water better? Anyone here use a similar soil? If so, how often do you water your tree? So far I've been watering my tree every other day. However, some of the leaves are turning yellow, dry, and falling off. So I may be over watering or under watering.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Tilly,

Welcome to the forum. It would help if you put your zone and location into your profile. Users will then be able to give you advice based on your climate.

As for the soil. That mix you are using is almost impossible to over water. I use Akadama, Kyadama and pumice. Which is very similar to your mix. When you water it REALLY water it. Give it a few minutes then water it again. Then one last time for luck. But make sure that you have drainage holes in your pot. Also make sure that you are feeding once a week during the growing season. Another important thing is that depending on your climate the Fukien Tea Tree needs to be outside. This might be your problem.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dont think of it as a schedule. Think of it “as it needs it”. And yes the top can look dry, but it still may be moist a little ways down.

Tilly209

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you @Graft and @MrWunderful. I am located in Northern California. Yes, my pot has drainage holes and sits on a humidity tray. Should I stick to watering it every other day? Something else I forgot to mention is that I transplanted the tree into it's current pot just recently. Maybe that is playing a part in the yellowing leaves.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So am I. What part? I may be able to give you a little more specialized advice.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok I cant be 100% sure because I dont grow fukien tea, but you will most likely want more akadama in the mix for your hot summers if you keep it outside.

I guess the big question is if its inside or outside.

Not sure how low your nights get (I live on the coast south of SF) But I have a good feeling it will be OK year round outside.

It could be dropping leaves because of the repot as well.
Water when the akadama changes colour

This is how I gauge, I almost daily dig in my pots an inch or so down. If the akadama is dark brown, I wont water. If its the light brown “dry” color, Then I will.

The good thing about your mix is its almost impossible to overwater, so when it doubt, just water.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Reckon the leaves are falling from the Repot.

You won't be able to overwater that soil.

Water twice a day!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Water when the tree needs it. Not on a strict schedule. Stick a chop stick in the soil and leave it there. Check it every day. When it is almost dry then the plant needs water. This will help you learn your watering schedule for your location and soil

Most of us that use a coarse soil mix usually water every day in the summer, sometimes twice a day when it is really hot.

Since you've stated the leaves are turning yellow and drying out, indicates not enough water possibly but could also be a repot done during really hot weather which is bad timing.

As people stated above, it s impossible to overwater that soil mix.

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
When I take my tropical bonsai in for the winter my substrate is still damp on day 2. Outside it will be dry the next day and on hot days 6 hours later. So, you have to observe and adjust.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Time of the year, health of the tree, humidity, wind, amount of sunlight all play into watering frequency and amount. I'd have to say watering is one of the harder skill to get down correctly and done consistently.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time of the year, health of the tree, humidity, wind, amount of sunlight all play into watering frequency and amount. I'd have to say watering is one of the harder skill to get down correctly and done consistently.

This is very true.
In the early spring, I water my trees every other day. Once temperatures warm up I need to water every day. When it gets very hot, some trees need twice a day

Top Bottom