Akadama, Pumice with Humic & Fulvic acids

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was researching Akadama and I came to the conclusion it is basically pumice that had a lot of organics on top for a long period of time. The organics were decomposed by fungus and bacteria, leaving only the Humic, Fulvic acids and compounds that were indigestible by microbial action. Those acids then leached into the pumice over a long period of time, giving Akadama its darker color and properties.

Does anyone use any those new-fangled humic/fulvic acid and beneficial bacterial and fungi supplements? They are purported to increase uptake of nutrients and contribute to microbial health in the roots.
I used them this year on my potted Salvia, Cuphea, Lions Ear and lantana this year (using homemade 5-1-1 potting mix) with excellent results.
I was wondering if anyone used them or had an opinion pertaining to their potential value in bonsai.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So while you're waiting for replies, you can (if you haven't done so already) use the search function to look for previous threads on this topic. I searched for threads with "humic" in the title and found 4 or 5 of them.

Personally, I haven't used any of these, but some of the organic ferts I use have humic acid and bacterial/mycorrhizal supplements in them.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Humic acid is the only thing I've used that gave noticeable results. It's the bomb.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve sprinkled humic acid into some repotting media and I’m not sure if it’s done anything. I haven’t kept close watch or had control for True Science Rigor. This is something I tend to do on new repottings into extremely sterile volcanic soils and I’ll skip it when reusing old soil or when I have a partial organic mix.

I do make regular use of mycorrhizal supplements and get specific about ecto vs. endo species associations. (I don’t use the generic/mixed myco products.)

My results speak for themselves, though: I see great vigor, superb handling of stressful conditions, and nearly zero tree loss. The few seedlings I have recently lost were already compromised by external factors and then never came back after an unusually harsh winter.

Only my most temperamental species (maple and beech) have shown environmental stress, but that’s to be expected with full sun in 90°F and hotter periods. I’ve not seen water stress, so I’m confident my soils and micro-biotic conditions are excellent.

Regarding humic acid in particular—I like the critique that it’s bunk. If I correctly recall, the suggestion is it’s not a real thing and doesn’t naturally exist. The product is claimed to be entirely manmade and is only created through extreme chemical reactions as leftover material from consuming the remainder of soils. I’m not a soil scientist.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will say this much, in the spring I repotted several trees in 100% Akadama. I am not at all happy with the results. I am not at all into using "those new-fangled humic/fulvic acid and beneficial bacterial and fungi supplements".

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will say this much, in the spring I repotted several trees in 100% Akadama. I am not at all happy with the results. I am not at all into using "those new-fangled humic/fulvic acid and beneficial bacterial and fungi supplements".
100% akadama in Florida? Yeah, I could see that not working to well for most tree species...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think 100% Akadama would be a good idea anywhere honestly.

I use both pumice and akadama and they don't seem at all the same to me.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I dont think 100% Akadama would be a good idea anywhere honestly.

I use both pumice and akadama and they don't seem at all the same to me.
Oh no you didn't! ;) Yes, I jumped on the Akadama train because of the many hardliners out there that seem to push it. I'll try a different mix this coming spring and if the trees are more vigorous then I won't stray again; promise.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a maple in 100% akadama once,when i repoted the soil was literally a solid brick!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh no you didn't! ;) Yes, I jumped on the Akadama train because of the many hardliners out there that seem to push it. I'll try a different mix this coming spring and if the trees are more vigorous then I won't stray again; promise.

Lol

I use a mix of akadama, pumice and lava on equal parts. You can add a 4th equal part of pine bark if you want for trees that like more moisture. I don't do that myself and even the D-trees seem fine with it

Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't take the brown acid!

Guess what I did at 1:34PM yesterday!,?

Lol!

I'm actually making some brown acid right now!

Yesterday.....
I had helicopters flying over my house....
I thought they thought my maple was a weed plant!
Either that or someone was going to run thru my yard and get face fucked with a slate slab!
Neighborhood watch program!

If I'm not mistaken, I think our Racist dick head friend @Anthony recently posted something that hinted toward humid acids being a myth.
Maybe it was something I meant to show him....

Either way....

Yeah....

Cubes, tabs, paper, or As Hendrix.....

There are way more interesting and enjoyable ways to spend bonsai time involving acid.

And I'd argue you'd come out of the experience with way more knowledge on trees than any conversation about soil ever could.

Trip on!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Compost and inorganic, no magic just how trees evolved.
Good Day
Anthony

@sorce ,

if you didn't mention me, I don't think I would have responded to this topic.
It's too racial to humics.:):rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Compost and inorganic, no magic just how trees evolved.
Good Day
Anthony

@sorce ,

if you didn't mention me, I don't think I would have responded to this topic.
It's too racial to humics.:):rolleyes:

I know you use compost.

I read an article recently somewhere about these acids being a myth.

Seemed legit.

It is magic though!
Or what is?
Material things?
Governmental slight of hand?
David COPPER...field!

Lol!

I'm on island time, while these rats run the race.
Slow down, slower, though fast is my pace.
You'll find no evil in thoughts that I make.
But beware to those rats there's no chase.
Venom from this mouth. Venomous Snake.

Sorce

Top Bottom