Akadama vs. Pumice vs. Lava Rock

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi fellow Nuts,

I recently ordered some pumice and lava rock from Bonsai Jack and am anxious to get to repotting some Ficus. However, I'm a bit uncertain as to the differences between Akadama, pumice, and lava rock. They all seem to hold water and increase aeration in the soil, but for what reason would I want to add all 3 into a soil mixture if they all (to the best of my knowledge) do the same thing? What does one offer that the others don't? More water retention?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There's a thread here that goes into difference between pumice and lava, but they both don't hold a lot of water while akadama is water retentive and functioned as your water retention piece of the puzzle, to put it simply. Lava and pumice also doesn't break down and most akadama types does after a year or two. I would Google each type to really find a good read or just use the search here. Soil is a heated debated but unless you can stay on top of your watering all day then you'll need a water retaining soil mix, which akadama functions as.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
...pumice and lava...don't hold a lot of water while akadama is water retentive...

...most akadama types does [break down]after a year or two.
These statements are not consistent with my experience; which is that lava is far more retentive (holds more, and is slower to release retained water) than akadama. And akadama does not break down in a year or two; certainly not to the degree where it poses a risk to the tree.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan,

we are getting extraordinary results just using 5 mm builder's gravel [ silica based ] with 1/10 compost by volume, and all are being grown in 1 to 1.5 " deep pots,
Placement is full sun and with breeze.
They don't seem to need a lot of water.
Watering is done twice a day, morning and night.

You may wish to try.
Best of luck in your potting, you are always a joy to read.
Good Day
Anthony

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, that is a good read, but what do you know to be true? I know I'd rather read your experiences and results with lava, pumice, and akadama than reread a 3 year old blog post.

Incidentally, that post doesn't discuss lava; and pumice I've used from Japan is different from the pumice I've found here. The imported pumice I've used is very similar to akadama; but slightly lighter-weight, lighter yellow in color, round, and can be pulverized by hand, just like akadama. Pumice here is dense, white or grey, sharp, and hard.

So go! practice, experiment, photograph and share! To whet the appetite, here is a experiment I'm running in my garden: root growth in turface/lava vs. akadama/lava with two 3-year-old Chinese Quince cuttings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 195

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I use the white pumice and red lava and I found that they are about the same in term of water retention in my area. The akadama I used was very water retentive. I don't use it anymore becuase of cost. I use turface, pumice,lava, sifted soil conditioner and charcoal. I did all the experiments a few years ago and like my mix

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is that used just for indoor though?

No, works fine outside too. Depending on the mix of pine to pumice, learn/watch the tree's water needs. Pumice is great at giving up the last of its water when the tree needs it.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For what it's worth, I've had the best results with 1:1 lava and pine bark with ficus. I use Boon's mix for everything else (1:1:1 lava, akadama, pumice) except azaleas. I buy my Boon's mix from Wee Trees and Pine Bark from Jacks.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just bought some pine bark from Dallas Bonsai. Got my pumice and lava rock from Jacks. We'll see.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not to take any business away from the bonsai retailers, but you guys do realize that "soil conditioner" is pine bark, which can be used almost straight out of the bag...right?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_97675-66882-97675_0__
I've been researching alternatives too because I just can't see paying so much for soil. Hence the interest in dry stall.

I just sifted the bark out of the leftover potting soil we used for our garden seedlings. Granted they are varying sizes but they are for the most part pretty close.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anybody use just drystall (pumice) and bark fines?

I use Dry Stall for my pumice supply. For larger pumice for my collected Rocky Mountain trees, I sourced it from Nature's Way.

I don't mix bark fines or organic generally for any of my trees. Mine is mostly a modified Boon's mix with lava, pumice, haydite and a splash of granite grit and horticultural charcoal. To cut down on cost and weight, I use a pumice/turface/granite grit mix (with horticultural charcoal) for trees I'm growing out. Pure turface seems to be prone to clumping/dry spot issues especially if you use organic fertilizers, but cutting it with other components seems to eliminate that issue.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Home Depot carries one called natures helper soil conditioner, it's the brand I have available to me. Works perfect and can be used out of the bag if you don't have a sifter, just watch ur ratios

Top Bottom