Akadama vs. Pumice vs. Lava Rock

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mix? I use pure oil dri if I don't have a little grit to throw in. I tried pine bark once. It turned to goo in a couple months. Doesn't mean other people don't have luck with it. I'm open to trying different substrates to see what works well for me.
Like Chris said, get watering and feeding down and it won't matter which substrate you choose.
Mike,

When you repot, do you have a solid brick of fibrous roots in the Oil Dri? One of the criticisms of Turface and I believe Oil Dri as well, is that it doesn't produce robust root growth the way pumice and akadama would supposedly allow. I would love to hear success stories of these less expensive and widely available media.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't have a picture right now but I have a thread called hinoki cypress fall repotting or something along those l8nes. There is a picture of a thick fibrous root pad grown in oil dri. Osoyoung on here uses turface I believe. He gets fantastic roots in that medium. If trees only grew well in Akadama I would be screwed.

Reactions: Vin

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the white pumice and red lava and I found that they are about the same in term of water retention in my area. The akadama I used was very water retentive. I don't use it anymore becuase of cost. I use turface, pumice,lava, sifted soil conditioner and charcoal. I did all the experiments a few years ago and like my mix
How much charcoal and conditioner do you use? I've been using turface + pumice or lava rock (whichever of the two I can find). I will try to amend with some charcoal & conditioner.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
How much charcoal and conditioner do you use? I've been using turface + pumice or lava rock (whichever of the two I can find). I will try to amend with some charcoal & conditioner.

Depends on how much water the tree likes, in general pines/conifers is equal parts lava/pumice/conditioner and a splash of charcoal. Decidious get 1/1/2 in general. I don't use a lot of turface its sifted and just fills in the gaps when I run low on ther other items

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Depends on how much water the tree likes, in general pines/conifers is equal parts lava/pumice/conditioner and a splash of charcoal. Decidious get 1/1/2 in general. I don't use a lot of turface its sifted and just fills in the gaps when I run low on ther other items
What kind of charcoal do you use? Is it necessary to use horticultural charcoal over lump charcoal?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Horticultural charcoal refers to the manufacture, not the size. I think Brian may have thought "lump" charcoal is grilling charcoal. Grilling charcoal is made from charcoal that's been milled and processed with chemicals to hold it in shape and keep it burning at an even rate - I don't want those chemicals in my soil, so I don't use it. Horticultural charcoal is just charcoal. If you have a grill or firepit, you can make it yourself. Some people make big pieces and put it in the bottom of the pot. I use smaller pieces and put it in the soil.

Scott

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Horticultural charcoal refers to the manufacture, not the size. I think Brian may have thought "lump" charcoal is grilling charcoal. Grilling charcoal is made from charcoal that's been milled and processed with chemicals to hold it in shape and keep it burning at an even rate - I don't want those chemicals in my soil, so I don't use it. Horticultural charcoal is just charcoal. If you have a grill or firepit, you can make it yourself. Some people make big pieces and put it in the bottom of the pot. I use smaller pieces and put it in the soil.

Scott
I know we aren't talking briquette charcoal, but regardless, I'm sticking with horticultural "grade" because I don't know how this stuff has been handled, and it's quite large.:rolleyes:
image.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know how this stuff has been handled, and it's quite large.

The Lump Coal I was referring to is the type you use for a heat source. In Europe they sell it at gas stations to toss in your coal stove and I have noticed it showing up at large grocery concerns in the North East as a heat supplement. Yes it is large but for a filler it works well. I meant no disrespect in mentioning it so you know.

Grimmy

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know we aren't talking briquette charcoal, but regardless, I'm sticking with horticultural "grade" because I don't know how this stuff has been handled, and it's quite large.:rolleyes:
View attachment 92074

It does have a cowboy on it and I like westerns. Must be ok.

Scott

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What exactly is charcoals purpose in a soil mix?

Once you know the answer, why do you use it?

Is there another way to get the same results without the addition of charcoal in the soil?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Hi fellow Nuts,

I recently ordered some pumice and lava rock from Bonsai Jack and am anxious to get to repotting some Ficus. However, I'm a bit uncertain as to the differences between Akadama, pumice, and lava rock. They all seem to hold water and increase aeration in the soil, but for what reason would I want to add all 3 into a soil mixture if they all (to the best of my knowledge) do the same thing? What does one offer that the others don't? More water retention?
No time now to wade through all comments but I've long wondered the same thing. Why pumice AND lava? (we call it cinder) Unless you like the polka-dot effect. Pumice from Black Gold holds more H20 than the lava we get here. And lava is black so acts as a heat sink and locks together more than pumice. I have no use for it.

Reaction score
I know this is an old conversation now but what would be wrong with just using lava rock and nothing else?

Top Bottom