Akamatsu yamadori - shari, resin, questions/doubts

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello everyone, I start this thread because I was a bit unsuccessful in finding info about this.

I recently acquired a Japanese Red Pine, of yamadori origin, with a spectacular shari that runs over the whole lenght of the trunk (I will follow with some pictures).

The question I have for you is if it's normal that I detected a bit of resin bleeding from the trunk, in correspondence of the limit between the live vein and the deadwood. I read that if you carve the shari on pines yourself it might create this situation, but this should not be the case, as it's a very old yamadori.

Is it possible that the bark has been worked on recently, as the 'bleeding' is only from certain spots and not on the whole lenght of the live/dead line (few spots, and the quantity of resin is very small).

Since it's a very thin bleeding, should I let it go (it's extremely hot now in Italy, 35-37C during the day, perhaps the sap pressure inside the tree is very high?).

Let me know what you know about sap, resin, shari, pines and the whereabouts!

Thank you as usual!

Leo

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any sign of borer holes near leakage? If not could be stopped with clay type cut paste left on until Winter when sap flow slows to near zero.

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any sign of borer holes near leakage? If not could be stopped with clay type cut paste left on until Winter when sap flow slows to near zero.
Can't see any holes, nor sign of borer presence tbh. I will follow up with some photographs as soon as I can

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I follow up with some photos, here's the resin leak I could record, not a big deal possibly but it's always better to double check.

Any opinion is more than welcome!

Leo

Attachments

• pine1.JPG
    pine1.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 57
  • pine2.JPG
    pine2.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 54
  • pine3.JPG
    pine3.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 55

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What litttle can be seen of tree very interesting. Nice details. Personally see nothing to worry about at all. Possible please to post pics of whole tree for interest and curiosity? You favor Literati?

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What litttle can be seen of tree very interesting. Nice details. Personally see nothing to worry about at all. Possible please to post pics of whole tree for interest and curiosity? You favor Literati?

I will post some photographs soon, I think this is a natural cascade or semi cascade.

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here some photo of the tree, sorry for the light but we're having the first cloudy day in weeks.

It's from Taisho-En in Shizuoka, yamadori origin and unknown age.

5.JPG4.JPG
1.JPG3.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wouldn’t be too worried about a little sap there. Nice tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I follow up with some photos, here's the resin leak I could record, not a big deal possibly but it's always better to double check.

Any opinion is more than welcome!

Leo
Take two aspirin and call in the morning! Interesting tree, would not concern myself with " Resin leak ".

Top Bottom