Alabama and Georgia nutters check in please... Seen those states seen tornadoes

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seen this on social media...just checking in to make sure our gang is okay.

Our hearts go out to those in the path of a series of tornadoes that touched down in Alabama and Georgia this afternoon. Tragically, at least 14 people are confirmed dead in Lee County, Alabama. Pray for the families of those who were killed in these deadly storms. And pray for first responders and those involved in search and rescue operations.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We had at least three tornados within ten miles of my house yesterday.
It got a bit interesting to say the least.

Still getting pictures on social media from other parts of Ga and Al.
Looks like a few places in Al got hit pretty hard.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I looked at the AccuWeather radar image last evening around 8:15 PM ET, the continuous line of storms stretched from about 100 miles into the Gulf of Mexico south of Gulfport, MS to the southern tip of Maine.

I live north of Tallahassee, about 8 miles from GA, and we had tornados pass north and south of us last evening. Thankfully, zero damage at my place, and very little damage in Tallahassee proper. A spectacular lightening storm and winds, and most of the damage around here were lightening strikes and trees on power lines.

The town of Cairo, GA, about 20 miles NW of us, and areas about 15 miles due east of Tallahassee, had tornados touch down, and destroyed homes, trees, and infrastructure. I believe Dothan, AL was hit particularly hard, with double-digit loss of life. The SE AL/SE GA area had tornados touching down and plowing a 1/4 mile wide paths of destruction. There is also a beautiful little antebellum town west of us (south of Dothan), called Marianna, FL, that suffered massive damage from Hurricane Michael, last fall... last evening, it again suffered damage from this line of storms.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We were clear after some hard rain before noon, coming home from church the ditches were full of water but no wind damage here ... but COLD today!

Top Bottom