Alabama Bonsai Society Spring Show

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
We are busy planning and preparing the Alabama Bonsai Society Spring Show for 2013.

This year's show will be held at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens on May 18th and 19th.

Saturday Hours: 11:00 AM -- 5:00 PM

Sunday Hours: 12:00 Noon--4:00 PM

We invite everyone in the area to come by for a great show. Admission is free!

afcasey

Seed
Reaction score
Japanese Black Pine advice?

Hi Ron....I have 2 Japanese Black Pines that have never been trimmed. Do you know someone
in Bham who has experience with JBPs? I was hoping maybe I could bring them to the Bonsai Show and have someone take a look at them and provide advice/suggestions. If there is a JBP expert, that is the person I would most like to talk to! What are your thoughts? thanks...abby casey

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Ron....I have 2 Japanese Black Pines that have never been trimmed. Do you know someone
in Bham who has experience with JBPs? I was hoping maybe I could bring them to the Bonsai Show and have someone take a look at them and provide advice/suggestions. If there is a JBP expert, that is the person I would most like to talk to! What are your thoughts? thanks...abby casey

Probably best to bring them to the club meeting; the June meeting is on this very topic...June 10 in the same room as the show, 7:00 PM. Otherwise, PM me and I can help.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

I am sorry to say I have been very busy with our show and a lot of work in our kitchen at home. I have not been on the forum very much at all lately and I only saw your post now.

You had a response from BVF who is the one I would turn to for help. Brian is most knowledgeable and very good to share his knowledge. Brian's advice on bringing your trees to our workshop is really good.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This weekend

The Alabama Bonsai Society Show is tomorrow and Sunday. If in this area, please come by. The show wiill be held at Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
A few photos from the show

We are busy preparing a video of our show but thought I would post a few of my favorite photos taken at the show. Please bear in mind I am a poor photographer.106.jpg
This natal plum was originally styled by John Naka and is in a custom made pot by Byron Myrick.

067.jpg051.jpg085.jpg086.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice job Ron! By all accounts it looked like a great show. You put a lot into it and the results speak for themselves. Some blooming satsukis, new trees, and great stones!

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Nice job Ron! By all accounts it looked like a great show. You put a lot into it and the results speak for themselves. Some blooming satsukis, new trees, and great stones!

Thank you, Brian.

We also had a display of vintage pots. It did not turn out as well as I hoped but it was a good start. Maybe next year we will have more in line with what you and I talked about.

074.jpg075.jpg077.jpg143.jpg146.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool idea the pot display! Thanks for taking time to post all this, and good job with the show all around.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice pots...some look familiar ;-)
Can't wait to see that Koyo in person!

Top Bottom