Alaska fertilizer!

BT05

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm starting to feed my junipers a little bit and I got the Alaska fish fertilizer stuff smells gross so it must be good.

No one told me that flies love this stuff, there are so many flies around my plants probably laying eggs in the soil. I also dumped the left over in my rock garden were I had a few rock plantings that looked like they could use some extra food. The next day when I put my dog she totally destroyed the plants by pulverizing them with rocks and digging (dumb dog must have thought there was a fish bone under the plants!) hope they come back.

Does anyone else have the fly problem with this feed?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Did you dilute it as the container instructions recommend?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm starting to feed my junipers a little bit and I got the Alaska fish fertilizer stuff smells gross so it must be good.

No one told me that flies love this stuff, there are so many flies around my plants probably laying eggs in the soil. I also dumped the left over in my rock garden were I had a few rock plantings that looked like they could use some extra food. The next day when I put my dog she totally destroyed the plants by pulverizing them with rocks and digging (dumb dog must have thought there was a fish bone under the plants!) hope they come back.

Does anyone else have the fly problem with this feed?
Not flies...yellow jackets!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I get flies and bugs from organic fertilizers.

This is one of the reasons to perform "soji" at least once a year. That is, scrape off the top 1/2 to 3/4 inch of soil, and replace with fresh bonsai soil. Usually done in the fall.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the wasps better than the flies.

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just place a 5 pound standing rib roast in an out of the way place in your yard and the flies will go there and leave your plants alone. This is known as "bunching". The roast will smell like death for a couple weeks ...but hey, it will take care of the fly problem.....

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
When I use fish fertilizer at the recommended dilution, it's smelly for a few days then gets better. Haven't had flies lay eggs in it that I've noticed.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't had any bug probems.
But then again I don't use poop or ground up dead animals for fertilizer either.
If I did I would use the appropriate cide. I have herbicide,insecticide and now rodentcide. All for genocide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom