Alberta spruce forest

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got six Albert spruce 10.00 each about 24-30” tall. What I was thinking was plant 5, 3 in one group 2 in the other, with a fallen tree in between them from back to front, so I had a little depth and some smaller trees. Just want to run it past any of you,I’m not sure on size of training pot to start out with their root ball is quite large right now and how much of the root on fallen tree would I have to remove to not kill it. Advice would be great.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Large bonsai pots (trays) are hard to come by. Start with the display pot you want to end up with and work backwards. For example max pot size from Sara Raynor is 22 inches as that's the longest dimension that will fit in her kiln. I occasionally see larger pots, but they are rare and very expensive.

Reactions: Rod

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got six Albert spruce 10.00 each about 24-30” tall. What I was thinking was plant 5, 3 in one group 2 in the other, with a fallen tree in between them from back to front, so I had a little depth and some smaller trees. Just want to run it past any of you,I’m not sure on size of training pot to start out with their root ball is quite large right now and how much of the root on fallen tree would I have to remove to not kill it. Advice would be great.
Why a pot? Figure out how you want to position the trees. build a wooden training box. If after several years the wooden box is half rotted away, place the forest on a slab. The wooden box has the advantage that while rotting proces occurs, you'll have plebty of beneficial mycorrhiza are in the soil.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last year I squeezed 15 small albertas into an Anderson flat. 16”x18”x3” I think. They are holding up nicely. 1/2- 2/3 root mass was removed from each tree to fit them. That was in spring. None of the trees were wired. Very little foliage pruning.
I am not sure if you could get away with that much root loss right now but haven’t ever tried this time of year..

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why a pot? Figure out how you want to position the trees. build a wooden training box. If after several years the wooden box is half rotted away, place the forest on a slab. The wooden box has the advantage that while rotting proces occurs, you'll have plebty of beneficial mycorrhiza are in the soil.
That’s a good idea, I’ll probably do that. Then may make a slab from concrete, but won’t be easy to move in winter.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s a good idea, I’ll probably do that. Then may make a slab from concrete, but won’t be easy to move in winter.
You also can create a fiberglass slab, reinforced with steel mesh ;-)

FiestaRed

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seen quite a few Spruce forests but none with a fallen tree. Really looking forward to seeing this one Rod.

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seen quite a few Spruce forests but none with a fallen tree. Really looking forward to seeing this one Rod.
Me too, from what is pictured in my head the fallen tree is going to go through a torcher test with top of tree hitting a rock and growing upwards from there. But that will put a small tree in front. It may not be conventional but hoping it works.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just FYI on the FB auctions now there’s a forest pot - 22.3” x 8.9” x 2.5” but as Leo said it’s very expensive. 100 min bid already put forward but there’s a bin for 425. Seems way out of the target for this forest but it gives you a sense.

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks your tight I don’t want to spend that much. I do have a rock n my timber that is about 30”x30” and 6” thick. I’d have to use my bobcat to move it. Just an idea.

Top Bottom