alberta spruce lost branches

Reaction score
hello,
we had a nasty heat wave this last july and a tree i gave to my sister seems to be suffering. it is losing most of its newly grown needles and i can't determine if its from root rot since it appears that the tree was being watered even when it didn't need it, or if its from the heat that killed off the needles. i've tapered its watering over the last week and the soil was draining well but staying moist for a day too long which is strange because i potted it with inorganic material. there seems to be peat moss in the pot when i was checking it which is likely leading to the moisture problem. i've kept it in the shade to let it come to full dry but its a bit sad to watch.

anyone have any ideas or tips for steps to take aside from what i've already done?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

I doubt it from overwatering.

But.......

Sorce

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi

Does the tree has been repotted this year?
It seems to have a small root mass for a tree of that size.
Just wondering when the root reduction happened.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont like peat moss. Way to easy to get hydrophobic soil IMO.

It looks like its in way to small of a pot. And if you have soil that is free draining + drainage holes its almost impossible to lose a tree to root rot.

I would try slip potting into a pot atleast 3 times that size if its rootbound.

Reaction score
I dont like peat moss. Way to easy to get hydrophobic soil IMO.

It looks like its in way to small of a pot. And if you have soil that is free draining + drainage holes its almost impossible to lose a tree to root rot.

I would try slip potting into a pot atleast 3 times that size if its rootbound.
When can i slip pot it?

Top Bottom